* [dpdk-dev] DPDK ethdev/mbuf features and reviews
@ 2017-07-07  9:20 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-07-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Rybchenko, Rasesh Mody, Harish Patil, Alejandro Lucero,
	Adrien Mazarguil, John Daley, Rahul Lakkireddy, Stephen Hurd,
	Ajit Khaparde, Ed Czeck, John Miller, Wenzhuo Lu, Jingjing Wu,
	Beilei Xing, Jing Chen, Bruce Richardson, Shijith Thotton,
	Srisivasubramanian Srinivasan, Shrikrishna Khare, Ferruh Yigit,
	Olivier Matz
  Cc: dev

Hi,

The ethdev library is very special as it defines the services (ops)
to be implemented in every DPDK networking drivers.
It defines also some configuration bits to support.
The mbuf library defines also some offloads to support in drivers.

Some of these features are not enough supported and need more efforts.
You can check this table for a summary:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/overview.html#id1

These features are being summarized by Ferruh who needs help and review:
	http://dpdk.org/patch/26492

We must also take care of the new added features.
Adding a feature means it should be supported by every drivers.
For a PMD maintainer, the first step is to carefully review the new
proposed feature in mbuf or ethdev. The second step is to implement it.

Thanks for your help

PS: this reminder was thought after sending this email:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-July/070591.html

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK ethdev/mbuf features and reviews
@ 2017-07-07 19:12 ` Shrikrishna Khare
From: Shrikrishna Khare @ 2017-07-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Andrew Rybchenko, Rasesh Mody, Harish Patil, Alejandro Lucero,
	Adrien Mazarguil, John Daley, Rahul Lakkireddy, Stephen Hurd,
	Ajit Khaparde, Ed Czeck, John Miller, Wenzhuo Lu, Jingjing Wu,
	Beilei Xing, Jing Chen, Bruce Richardson, Shijith Thotton,
	Srisivasubramanian Srinivasan, Shrikrishna Khare, Ferruh Yigit,
	Olivier Matz, dev

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017, Thomas Monjalon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The ethdev library is very special as it defines the services (ops)
> to be implemented in every DPDK networking drivers.
> It defines also some configuration bits to support.
> The mbuf library defines also some offloads to support in drivers.
>
> Some of these features are not enough supported and need more efforts.
> You can check this table for a summary:
> 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpdk.org_doc_guides_nics_overview.html-23id1&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=s2jCzy8v55CCzOTsTr9gZXCg31zIp_uNzU_LV6Lykc8&m=FQf8y71vPzjmz0UZ4H82PvNPTaRcmLGJ_lbWh5vZHHE&s=fOWlJgvIu9mRubOZZbk86duTCqWwNQToGJeMIPZZ-d0&e=
>
> These features are being summarized by Ferruh who needs help and review:
> 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpdk.org_patch_26492&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=s2jCzy8v55CCzOTsTr9gZXCg31zIp_uNzU_LV6Lykc8&m=FQf8y71vPzjmz0UZ4H82PvNPTaRcmLGJ_lbWh5vZHHE&s=Vq4zrquYqLmn96bYRPOAVpp5WSYq2_2V8qOP_oLKaFc&e=

Table 1.1 from the above 17.08 doc is missing vmxnet3. The vmxnet3 driver
is missing from 17.05 doc as well
(http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v17.05/nics/overview.html) but it is
present in 17.02
(http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v17.02/nics/overview.html). Not sure if I
missed something?

Thanks,
Shri

> We must also take care of the new added features.
> Adding a feature means it should be supported by every drivers.
> For a PMD maintainer, the first step is to carefully review the new
> proposed feature in mbuf or ethdev. The second step is to implement it.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> PS: this reminder was thought after sending this email:
<>
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpdk.org_ml_archives_dev_2017-2DJuly_070591.html&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=s2jCzy8v55CCzOTsTr9gZXCg31zIp_uNzU_LV6Lykc8&m=FQf8y71vPzjmz0UZ4H82PvNPTaRcmLGJ_lbWh5vZHHE&s=sMljcGD-z2LixiHTKoQPQbatcrfzfCyRt3BKPcJ-E78&e=

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK ethdev/mbuf features and reviews
@ 2017-07-07 20:50   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-07-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shrikrishna Khare, Shrikrishna Khare
  Cc: Andrew Rybchenko, Rasesh Mody, Harish Patil, Alejandro Lucero,
	Adrien Mazarguil, John Daley, Rahul Lakkireddy, Stephen Hurd,
	Ajit Khaparde, Ed Czeck, John Miller, Wenzhuo Lu, Jingjing Wu,
	Beilei Xing, Jing Chen, Bruce Richardson, Shijith Thotton,
	Srisivasubramanian Srinivasan, Ferruh Yigit, Olivier Matz, dev

07/07/2017 21:12, Shrikrishna Khare:
> Table 1.1 from the above 17.08 doc is missing vmxnet3. The vmxnet3 driver
> is missing from 17.05 doc as well
> (http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v17.05/nics/overview.html) but it is
> present in 17.02
> (http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v17.02/nics/overview.html). Not sure if I
> missed something?

Depending of your browser, you may need to scroll to the right ;)

Note: you can check old versions on dpdk.org too:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-17.05/nics/overview.html#id1