* [dpdk-dev] flow_director_filter error!!
@ 2015-08-18 23:00 Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-18 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello:

Using dpdk-2.0.0 and i540 -

I am using the testpmd app to test-drive the flow-director filter settings.

After I start the testpmd app, I am flusing the flow_director_filter settings and get the following error -

testpmd> flush_flow_director 0

PMD: ixgbe_fdir_flush(): Failed to re-initialize FD table.

flow director table flushing error: (Too many open files in system)

Any clues or directions?

Thanks

-Navneet

* Re: [dpdk-dev] flow_director_filter error!!
@ 2015-08-19 19:26 ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Any suggestions?

Thanks
-Navneet

@ 2015-08-19 22:39 ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2015-08-19 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
> After I start the testpmd app, I am flusing the flow_director_filter
> settings and get the following error -
>

> testpmd> flush_flow_director 0
>
> PMD: ixgbe_fdir_flush(): Failed to re-initialize FD table.
>
> flow director table flushing error: (Too many open files in system)

Hi,

Are you setting a flow director filter before flushing? If so, could you give an example.

John.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] flow_director_filter error!!
@ 2015-08-20  7:17   ` Wu, Jingjing
From: Wu, Jingjing @ 2015-08-20  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navneet Rao, dev

Which NIC are you using? I540? Are you talking about X540?

And does other operations work except flush?

Thanks
Jingjing

@ 2015-08-20 18:56   ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John, dev

Thanks John.

I am trying to setup/use the flow-director-filter on the i540.

-- When I try to setup the flow-director-filter as per the example, I am getting "bad arguments"!!!
     So decided to see if the flush command would work.

In the interim --- I am using ethertype filter to accomplish the following.
What I am trying to do is this --
Use 2 different i540 cards
Use the igb_uio driver.
Use the testpmd app.
Setup 5 different MAC-ADDRESSes on each port. (using the set mac_addr command)
Setup 5 different RxQs and TxQs on each port.
And then use the testpmd app to generate traffic..

I am assuming that the testpmd app will now send and receive traffic using the 5 different MAC_ADDRESSes..
On each port's receive I will now want to classify on the MAC-ADDRESS and steer the traffic to different queues.

Is there an example/reference on how to achieve this?

Next, I would want to do "classify" on "flexbytes" and send/steer the traffic to different queues using flow-director-filter.

Thanks
-Navneet

@ 2015-08-25 13:55     ` Wu, Jingjing
From: Wu, Jingjing @ 2015-08-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navneet Rao, Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi, Navneet

I'm sorry for I have no idea about the NIC i540. Are you talking about X540?
If X540, I guess you can't classify on the MAC-ADDRESS to different queue by ethertype filter. Because in the X540 datasheet the ethertype filter is described as below:
" 7.1.2.3 L2 Ethertype Filters
These filters identify packets by their L2 Ethertype, 802.1Q user priority and optionally
assign them to a receive queue."

So the mac_address is not the filter's input.

Thanks
Jingjing

@ 2015-08-25 20:27       ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-25 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi Jingjing:

Thanks.

I did have the ethertype_filter ignore the mac_addr, and look at only ethertype filtyer and it still  got a "bad arguments" message :-(

testpmd>  ethertype_filter 0 add mac_ignr ethertype 0x0806 fwd queue 1
Bad arguments

@ 2015-08-26  7:27         ` De Lara Guarch, Pablo
From: De Lara Guarch, Pablo @ 2015-08-26  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navneet Rao, Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi Navneet,

Yes, apparently the example is wrong. It misses the MAC address, after mac_ignr.
So it should be:

ethertype_filter 0 add mac_ignr 00:11:22:33:44:55 ethertype 0x0806 fwd queue 1

Regards,
Pablo

@ 2015-08-26 17:11           ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev

Thanks Pablo.

BTW -- how do I
1. query the "settings" of the ethertype-filter to check that they are correct? Is there an option that I am missing...
2.  it might be good to "publish" this in the output of "show port info <port-number>

Thanks
-Navneet

@ 2015-08-28  0:35           ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-28  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi John et al:

I am using the X540, and setting it up to receive UDP traffic.
Want to use the flow-director filter, to steer packets to different receive queues.

Using the testpmd app, I am running into the following error --

testpmd> flow_director_filter 0 del flow ipv4-udp src 192.168.10.100 dst 192.168.10.101 vlan 0x1 flexbytes (0x88,0x48) fwd queue 1 fd_id 1
flow director programming error: (Operation not supported)

testpmd> flush_flow_director 0
PMD: ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599(): ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599
PMD: ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599(): Flow Director Signature poll time exceeded!
PMD: ixgbe_fdir_flush(): Failed to re-initialize FD table.
flow director table flushing error: (Too many open files in system)

Any ideas what am I missing…
And also, why is there is a reference to 82599 function here‼

Thanks
-Navneet

@ 2015-08-28 22:11             ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-28 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi John et al:

I am using the X540, and setting it up to receive UDP traffic.
Want to use the flow-director filter, to steer packets to different receive queues.

Using the testpmd app, I am running into the following error --

testpmd> flow_director_filter 0 add flow ipv4-udp src 192.168.10.100 dst 192.168.10.101 vlan 0x1 flexbytes (0x88,0x48) fwd queue 1 fd_id 1
flow director programming error: (Operation not supported)

testpmd> flush_flow_director 0
PMD: ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599(): ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599
PMD: ixgbe_reinit_fdir_tables_82599(): Flow Director Signature poll time exceeded!
PMD: ixgbe_fdir_flush(): Failed to re-initialize FD table.
flow director table flushing error: (Too many open files in system)

Any ideas what am I missing…
And also, why is there is a reference to 82599 function here‼

I am using the X540, and setting it up to receive UDP traffic.
Want to use the flow-director filter, to steer packets to different receive queues.

Using the testpmd app, I am running into the following error --

testpmd> flow_director_filter 0 del flow ipv4-udp src 192.168.10.100 dst
testpmd> 192.168.10.101 vlan 0x1 flexbytes (0x88,0x48) fwd queue 1 fd_id
testpmd> 1

@ 2015-08-28 22:50               ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-08-28 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, Wu, Jingjing, Mcnamara, John, dev,
	bruce.richardson

cc-ing Bruce -- 'cos found an earlier thread on this...
http://dpdk.info/ml/archives/dev/2014-February/001381.html

Any pointers Bruce -- on how to setup flow-director-filter using x540?

Thanks
-Navneet

@ 2015-08-31 11:07               ` Mcnamara, John
> I am using the X540, and setting it up to receive UDP traffic.
> Want to use the flow-director filter, to steer packets to different receive queues.
> Using the testpmd app, I am running into the following error --
> testpmd> flow_director_filter 0 add flow ipv4-udp src 192.168.10.100 ...
> flow director programming error: (Operation not supported)

Hi,

You need to pass --pkt-filter-mode=perfect or --pkt-filter-mode=signature on the commandline to enable flow director. If it isn't enabled you will see something like the following and you will get the "Operation not supported" message in several places:

  testpmd> show port fdir all

  ######################## FDIR infos for port 0      ########################
  MODE:   DISABLE
  SUPPORTED FLOW TYPE:  ipv4-tcp ipv4-udp ipv4-sctp ipv4-other ipv6-tcp ipv6-udp ipv6-sctp ipv6-other
  FLEX PAYLOAD INFO:

John.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] flow_director_filter error!!
@ 2015-09-02  0:09                 ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-09-02  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, Wu, Jingjing, dev

Thanks John, I figured that out since I was seeing the MODE: DISABLE all the time....
Now I am able to set the flow-director-filter correctly...but need to play with the settings to get it right!!!

Will ping this group if I am still stuck end of the week.

Thanks
-Navneet