* Renaming DTS
@ 2022-10-31 10:08 Juraj Linkeš
From: Juraj Linkeš @ 2022-10-31 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Honnappa Nagarahalli, Owen Hilyard, Lijuan Tu

Hello DPDK devs,

As many of you are already aware, we're moving DTS (the testing framework along with tests) to DPDK. As part of this effort, we're doing a major refactoring/rewrite of DTS. What I feel is missing is a discussion of how we should name the rewritten DTS - not only are the changes big enough but it's also being moved into another community and I think the community should have a say in how we name it. Of course, that discussion could have happened as part of the review process of the first patch [0], but that usually focuses on the code and these big picture issues can get overlooked.

With that, here are some proposals:

*         Change the name altogether, to something like

o   test_harness

o   test_framework

o   test(ing)

o   integration_test

*         Use the existing DTS initialism, but change the meaning, possibly to

o   DPDK test system

o   DPDK test solution

o   DPDK test software

o   DPDK test scenarios

o   DPDK test framework/harness and suites. This is a stretch, as it add a new word that's part of the initialism

*         Use a new initialism

o   DTFS, DTH - DPDK test framework and suites, DPDK test harness

*         Use two directories, one for framework (libs) and the other for tests

*         And of course, stay with DTS and its original meaning - DPDK test suite

DPDK test suite doesn't fully capture what DTS is (it isn't just tests, but also the framework (libs) that runs them). That is a minor point, but it's possible there's a better name. It's likely that it's not worth changing the name (or the meaning of the initialism) since people are familiar with it. If the topic doesn't get traction, we'll stay with the DPDK test suite. Or maybe change it to DPDK test suites, as there are many different test suites.

I like using DTS, but maybe changing the initialism to something that means tests + libs. I don't think my suggestions above capture quite that, but there could be something else that does. I actually like DPDK test suites the best.

Let us know whether you'd like to see a new directory named 'dts' in you repository or something completely different!

Thanks,
Juraj

[0] http://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=25207