* [dpdk-dev] meson support : cross compile issues
@ 2018-02-27 14:38 Hemant Agrawal
From: Hemant Agrawal @ 2018-02-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Bruce, dev
  Cc: Shreyansh Jain, Akhil Goyal, Herbert Guan, Bhagavatula, Pavan

Hi,

How do we set CROSS COMPILE kernel path support. E.g. something equivalent to RTE_KERNELDIR for Makefile

     *   Currently the Igb_uio  compilation fails.
     *   Also, there is no check to disable igb_uio compilation by flag e.g. CONFIG_RTE_EAL_IGB_UIO=n

Other minor issue observed is that though the cross compile is set as 6.3, the gcc 7 flags (which is my host compiler version) is getting enabled.  Causing following errors:

../drivers/bus/dpaa/dpaa_bus.c: At top level:

cc1: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-format-truncation’

cc1: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-address-of-packed-member’

Regards,
Hemant

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support : cross compile issues
@ 2018-02-27 14:52 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-02-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hemant Agrawal
  Cc: dev, Shreyansh Jain, Akhil Goyal, Herbert Guan, Bhagavatula, Pavan

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 02:38:53PM +0000, Hemant Agrawal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do we set CROSS COMPILE kernel path support. E.g. something equivalent to RTE_KERNELDIR for Makefile
>
>      *   Currently the Igb_uio  compilation fails.
>      *   Also, there is no check to disable igb_uio compilation by flag e.g. CONFIG_RTE_EAL_IGB_UIO=n

I have not had time to look at the cross-compilation of kernel modules
yet, so patches welcome. :-)
However, it should be possible to disable the kernel modules generally
using "enable_kmods" option (see meson_options.txt)

> Other minor issue observed is that though the cross compile is set as 6.3, the gcc 7 flags (which is my host compiler version) is getting enabled.  Causing following errors:

Actually, this is a gcc quirk. GCC does not report an error for
cmdline flags disabling unknown warnings, unless other errors are
displayed. This means that when meson tries the options, GCC reports as
supporting them. It also means that it's not a problem when you do see
them - just fix the other errors and the warnings about the flags will
disappear.

See: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Warning-Options.html
"However, if the -Wno- form is used, the behavior is slightly different:
no diagnostic is produced for -Wno-unknown-warning unless other
diagnostics are being produced. This allows the use of new -Wno- options
with old compilers, but if something goes wrong, the compiler warns that
an unrecognized option is present"

> ../drivers/bus/dpaa/dpaa_bus.c: At top level:
>
> cc1: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-format-truncation’
>
> cc1: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-address-of-packed-member’
>
> Regards,
> Hemant

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support : cross compile issues
@ 2018-02-28  5:16   ` Hemant Agrawal
From: Hemant Agrawal @ 2018-02-28  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson
  Cc: dev, Shreyansh Jain, Akhil Goyal, Herbert Guan, Bhagavatula, Pavan

Hi Bruce,

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 02:38:53PM +0000, Hemant Agrawal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do we set CROSS COMPILE kernel path support. E.g. something
> > equivalent to RTE_KERNELDIR for Makefile
> >
> >      *   Currently the Igb_uio  compilation fails.
> >      *   Also, there is no check to disable igb_uio compilation by flag e.g.
> CONFIG_RTE_EAL_IGB_UIO=n
> >

> I have not had time to look at the cross-compilation of kernel modules yet, so
> patches welcome. :-) However, it should be possible to disable the kernel
> modules generally using "enable_kmods" option (see meson_options.txt)

[Hemant]  setting kernel_dir in meson_options.txt worked for me.

> > Other minor issue observed is that though the cross compile is set as 6.3, the
> gcc 7 flags (which is my host compiler version) is getting enabled.  Causing
> following errors:
> >

> Actually, this is a gcc quirk. GCC does not report an error for cmdline flags
> disabling unknown warnings, unless other errors are displayed. This means that
> when meson tries the options, GCC reports as supporting them. It also means
> that it's not a problem when you do see them - just fix the other errors and the
> warnings about the flags will disappear.
>
> See:
> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgcc.gn
> u.org%2Fonlinedocs%2Fgcc%2FWarning-
> Options.html&data=02%7C01%7Chemant.agrawal%40nxp.com%7Cbe391f8ced
> e54b43679808d57df1b4e4%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0%7C
> 1%7C636553399436715184&sdata=u3wSqw8DJ6dROat%2B%2BUr2EeusPmv90Z
> GPYRvitUuWIHE%3D&reserved=0
> "However, if the -Wno- form is used, the behavior is slightly different:
> no diagnostic is produced for -Wno-unknown-warning unless other diagnostics
> are being produced. This allows the use of new -Wno- options with old
> compilers, but if something goes wrong, the compiler warns that an
> unrecognized option is present"

[Hemant]  Thanks it helps.