* [dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed
@ 2018-09-20 18:10 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-09-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on current CPU, OS, DPDK.

With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest performance with KNI.

		Rx		Tx
	KNI	3.2 Gbit/sec	1.3 Gbit/sec
	TAP	4.9		4.7
	Virtio	5.6		8.6

Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language claiming
better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed
@ 2018-09-20 20:02 ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2018-09-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: DPDK

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stephen Hemminger <
stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

> I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on current
> CPU, OS, DPDK.
>
> With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest
> performance with KNI.
>
>                 Rx              Tx
>         KNI     3.2 Gbit/sec    1.3 Gbit/sec
>         TAP     4.9             4.7
>         Virtio  5.6             8.6
>
> Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language
> claiming
> better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?

Do TAP and Virtio provide equivalent function to KNI? I can't speak for any
other products, but ours is dependent on KNI. The ability for control plane
applications to use normal Linux sockets with DPDK is key even if it isn't
performant.

Hopefully the answer is "yes", in which case I'll happily port over to
using one of the faster mechanisms.

Thanks,
Jay

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed
@ 2018-09-20 20:15   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-09-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette; +Cc: DPDK

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 15:02:53 -0500
Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on current
> > CPU, OS, DPDK.
> >
> > With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest
> > performance with KNI.
> >
> >                 Rx              Tx
> >         KNI     3.2 Gbit/sec    1.3 Gbit/sec
> >         TAP     4.9             4.7
> >         Virtio  5.6             8.6
> >
> > Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language
> > claiming
> > better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?
> >

> Do TAP and Virtio provide equivalent function to KNI? I can't speak for any
> other products, but ours is dependent on KNI. The ability for control plane
> applications to use normal Linux sockets with DPDK is key even if it isn't
> performant.

Yes, all are equivalent. KNI was just invented as "faster version of TAP"
but it isn't

@ 2018-09-20 20:16   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-09-20 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette; +Cc: DPDK

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 15:02:53 -0500
Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on current
> > CPU, OS, DPDK.
> >
> > With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest
> > performance with KNI.
> >
> >                 Rx              Tx
> >         KNI     3.2 Gbit/sec    1.3 Gbit/sec
> >         TAP     4.9             4.7
> >         Virtio  5.6             8.6
> >
> > Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language
> > claiming
> > better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?
> >

> Do TAP and Virtio provide equivalent function to KNI? I can't speak for any
> other products, but ours is dependent on KNI. The ability for control plane
> applications to use normal Linux sockets with DPDK is key even if it isn't
> performant.
>
> Hopefully the answer is "yes", in which case I'll happily port over to
> using one of the faster mechanisms.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

See:
  https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-17.11/howto/virtio_user_as_exceptional_path.html

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed
@ 2018-09-20 21:39     ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2018-09-20 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: DPDK

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM Stephen Hemminger <
stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 15:02:53 -0500
> Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stephen Hemminger <
> > stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on
> current
> > > CPU, OS, DPDK.
> > >
> > > With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest
> > > performance with KNI.
> > >
> > >                 Rx              Tx
> > >         KNI     3.2 Gbit/sec    1.3 Gbit/sec
> > >         TAP     4.9             4.7
> > >         Virtio  5.6             8.6
> > >
> > > Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language
> > > claiming
> > > better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?
> > >

> > Do TAP and Virtio provide equivalent function to KNI? I can't speak for
> any
> > other products, but ours is dependent on KNI. The ability for control
> plane
> > applications to use normal Linux sockets with DPDK is key even if it
> isn't
> > performant.
> >
> > Hopefully the answer is "yes", in which case I'll happily port over to
> > using one of the faster mechanisms.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jay
>
> See:
>
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-17.11/howto/virtio_user_as_exceptional_path.html

Thanks. Looks like it's time to run some experiments again.

Jay

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed
@ 2018-09-21  8:30       ` Wang, Zhihong
From: Wang, Zhihong @ 2018-09-21  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette, Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: DPDK, Jason Wang

To do the test with the latest DPDK 17.11 LTS, you'll need the below
one-line fix (which was missed during backporting) to enable the
offloads:
https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/commit/?id=bce7e9050f9b

You can also refer to this paper for more details:
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3098586

-Zhihong

@ 2018-10-01 14:22         ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2018-10-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Zhihong, Jay Rolette, Stephen Hemminger
  Cc: DPDK, Jason Wang, Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd

> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM Stephen Hemminger <
> > stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

> > > current

> > language

> > > any
> > > plane
> > > isn't

> > > See:
> > >
> > > https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-
> > 17.11/howto/virtio_user_as_exceptional_path.html
This document says 'similar to KNI, this solution would use one or more kthreads to send/receive packets to/from user space DPDK applications, which has little impact on user space polling thread (except that it might enter into kernel space to wake up those kthreads if necessary)'. Does this mean the user space polling thread will make a system call? I am not a kernel expert. But, would this mean, the user space thread might block?