* [dpdk-dev] [README]:Running DPDK in a LXC-based Container
@ 2014-10-08 13:44 Murthy, Krishna J
From: Murthy, Krishna J @ 2014-10-08 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

                 Running DPDK in a LXC-based Container
Author: Krishnamurthy Jambur

Note: This README assumes you have the a LXC based container running on
      the IA platform. This was tested on Windriver OVP Linux 6.0

In this README we are will go through some of the unique steps involved
in attaching a NIC to the LXC-based Container and the running a sample
DPDP application in the container.

1. Attaching NIC device to the container
Let's assume for this example that you would like to have a management interface
and then separate dedicated 10G NIC to run DPDK. With this requirement your LXC
config file should have one networking sections one for veth. For the 10G NIC we
need to use uio device file system

veth uses a paired set of network interfaces, one inside the container specified
by the option lxc.network.name, and one in the host specified by the option
lxc.network.pair. The latter is attached automatically to a bridge in the host
if the name of the bridge is specified by the option lxc.network.link.

# networking-veth
lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.link = virbr0
lxc.network.veth.pair = vc0
lxc.network.name = eth0
lxc.network.hwaddr = ac:de:48:34:01:01
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.ipv4 = 192.168.122.12/24
lxc.network.ipv4.gateway = 192.168.122.1

once you have this your LXC container will have an IP using bridge. Next step
is to install DPDK igb_uio on the host and then bind it to the the 10G Niantic
NIC ports as usual. Once installed do ls -l /dev/uio* on the host. These are the
uioX interface corresponding to the the NIC ports to which DPDK igb_uio is
binded. DPDK application will use these device files. In order to provide access
to these device files inside the LXC container not down the major number [e.g.
in this case 249] and add this config to the LXC config file

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 249:* rwm

once you start the container then you need to create these uio0, uio1,...
devices nodes inside the container file system using mknod command as usual
with the same major and minor numbers.

mknod /dev/uio3 c 249 0
mknod /dev/uio3 c 249 3
mknod /dev/uio2 c 249 2
mknod /dev/uio1 c 249 1

2. Host allocated Huge page access inside container
For this set it is assumes that you would have pre-allocated hugepages and
mounted on the on the host. Once you have this set-up then you need to provide
access to hugetlbfs file system to the container using the LXC config file.

lxc.mount.entry = /mnt/huge mnt/huge none bind,create=dir 0 0

once you have this DPDK application will be able to use the host mounted huge
pages in the container.

Next step is run the DPDK application as usual in the LXC Container

Regards,
Krishna

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [README]:Running DPDK in a LXC-based Container
@ 2014-10-10  0:26 ` Xie, Huawei
From: Xie, Huawei @ 2014-10-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Murthy, Krishna J, dev

Here is the docker step, it is quite straightforward. Basically they are the same as LXC.

UIO:
docker run -i -t  --device=/dev/uio0:/dev/uio0 --device=/dev/uio1:/dev/uio1 -v /mnt:/mnt    fedora20-dpdk-2 /bin/bash

VFIO:
docker run -i -t  --privileged  --device=/dev/vfio/vfio:/dev/vfio/vfio --device=/dev/vfio/22:/dev/vfio/22  -v /mnt:/mnt    -v /var/run:/var/run  fedora20-dpdk-2 /bin/bash
There are open/ioctl calls on vfio device files, and I haven't figured out exactly the capability we need to give to docker for each sys call, otherwise we could remove --privilege option.

MP process:
With /var/run or /var/run/.rte_* mounted to docker, we could run multiple process between dockers.
(We could generate the dpdk cfg files in /var/run/dpdk, then we could mount whole directories to docker without specify each file).

       [not found]     ` <1455197317303.1476199754@boxbe>
@ 2016-02-11 16:19       ` Pushpasis Sarkar
From: Pushpasis Sarkar @ 2016-02-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Hi Bruce,

Thanks a lot for pointing it out.. Yes this is exactly what I was facing..
If I have got it right the solution to my problem should be --file-prefix
and -m (--socket-mem) options.

Best Regards,
-Pushpasis

@ 2016-02-11 13:08     ` Bruce Richardson
       [not found]     ` <1455197317303.1476199754@boxbe>
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2016-02-11 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pushpasis Sarkar; +Cc: dev

       [not found] ` <1455193461352.1476199754@boxbe>
@ 2016-02-11 12:56   ` Pushpasis Sarkar
       [not found]     ` <1455197317303.1476199754@boxbe>
From: Pushpasis Sarkar @ 2016-02-11 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Lucero; +Cc: dev

@ 2016-02-11 12:04 ` Alejandro Lucero
       [not found] ` <1455193461352.1476199754@boxbe>
From: Alejandro Lucero @ 2016-02-11 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pushpasis Sarkar; +Cc: dev

@ 2016-02-11  5:01 Pushpasis Sarkar
       [not found] ` <1455193461352.1476199754@boxbe>
From: Pushpasis Sarkar @ 2016-02-11  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, krishna.j.murthy

@ 2015-06-17  6:01 Mohit Saxena
From: Mohit Saxena @ 2015-06-17  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi All,

I am trying to run DPDK application on Ubuntu based Conatiner, I had
followed the steps as described by "Krishnamurthy Jambur" in his earlier
post

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 249:* rwm
mknod /dev/uio0 c 249 0
lxc.mount.entry = /mnt/huge mnt/huge none bind,create=dir 0 0

But after starting the application inside container I am getting the below
error

EAL: Master lcore 4 is ready (tid=7491b900;cpuset=[4])
PMD: ENICPMD trace: rte_enic_pmd_init
EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   Not managed by a supported kernel driver, skipped
EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   Not managed by a supported kernel driver, skipped
EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.2 on NUMA socket 0
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL: Cannot open /sys/class/uio/uio0/device/config: Permission denied
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: Requested device 0000:02:00.2 cannot be used

Any pointers to resolve this error?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Mohit Prakash Saxena