* [dpdk-dev] how to change binding of NIC ports to NUMA nodes
@ 2015-09-04  4:29 Rajesh R
From: Rajesh R @ 2015-09-04  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I am trying an application based on dpdk on a 4- processor server i.e. 4
numa nodes.
The server is having with 4 NIC cards out of which 2 cards get binded to
numa node 0 and other 2 cards get binded to numa node 2 (as per the
/sys/pci/.../numa_node for each card)

How to evenly distribute the cards to all the numa nodes so that one card
each gets binded to one numa node?

Can we control the binding from dpdk, either pmd_ixgbe or igb_uio?

--
Regards

Rajesh R

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how to change binding of NIC ports to NUMA nodes
@ 2015-09-04  7:20 ` De Lara Guarch, Pablo
From: De Lara Guarch, Pablo @ 2015-09-04  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajesh R, dev

Hi Rajesh,

The drivers cannot change the numa node where your NICs are,
as those nodes are associated to the different physical sockets (CPU and memory)
that you have on your platform, and your NICs are connected physically
to these sockets via the PCI slots.

So, if you want to change the numa node, you will have to move the NIC(s)
to another PCI slot that is connected to a different socket.
Look at the user guide of your platform to find out which PCI slots are connected to which socket.

Regards,

Pablo

@ 2015-09-04 17:29   ` Rajesh R
From: Rajesh R @ 2015-09-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo; +Cc: dev

Hi Pablo,

Thank you for the reply. I think I did not convey my query properly in my
question.

I agree that physical placement of NICs in PCIe slots decides the NUMA node
to which it is associated.
But in the server that I am experimenting(IBM system x 3850 x5 with 4 xeon
7560 processors) there are two IO hubs though which the PCIe slots are
connected to the CPU sockets.  4 of the PCIe slots are connected to 1 IOH
and 3 slots are connected to the second IOH. Each IOH is connected to 2 cpu
sockets- IOH1 is connected to sockets (0 and 1) . IOH2 is connected to
sockets (2 and 3). When I put 2 NICs in slots connecting to IOH1, both get
binded to socket 0. Similarly when I put 2 NICs in slots connecting to
IOH2, both get binded to socket 2.

My question is why none of the cards get binded to numa nodes(sockets) 1 or
3?

Is there something that I am missing in the physical architecture of the
server? is it that each IOH is directly connected to only 1 socket?

Regards
Rajesh

--
Regards