* [dpdk-dev] Problem in multi-queue receiving
@ 2014-08-09 15:59 Kai Zhang
From: Kai Zhang @ 2014-08-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi there,

I have a problem for multi-queue receiving.

For a specific application, I am not using the lcore abstractions in DPDK.
I launch rx and tx threads seperately. For one port with N queues, I
launched N rx threads and N tx threads, with each thread in charge of
receiving or sending only one queue.

The tx threads work on their own queues well. However, all received packets
only go to queue 0 rx thread, and other rx threads receive nothing.

My code is at :
https://github.com/kay21s/dpdk/blob/master/examples/pthread/main.c
It has a default NUM_QUEUE=2, which means port 0 is configured with 2
queues, and 2 rx threads and 2 tx threads are launched.
Is there any problem in my implementation? or DPDK does not support it?

Thanks a lot!
Kai

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Problem in multi-queue receiving
@ 2014-08-10 13:37 ` Zhang, Helin
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2014-08-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Zhang, dev

Hi Kai

My suggestion is to try DPDK example applications (e.g. testpmd, l2fwd, l3fwd) first to see if it work fine on you board. Then check the difference between your application and the examples.

Regards,
Helin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Problem in multi-queue receiving
@ 2014-08-10 18:11 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2014-08-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Zhang; +Cc: dev

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:59:24 -0400
Kai Zhang <zhang.4522@osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem for multi-queue receiving.
>
> For a specific application, I am not using the lcore abstractions in DPDK.
> I launch rx and tx threads seperately. For one port with N queues, I
> launched N rx threads and N tx threads, with each thread in charge of
> receiving or sending only one queue.
>
> The tx threads work on their own queues well. However, all received packets
> only go to queue 0 rx thread, and other rx threads receive nothing.
>
> My code is at :
> https://github.com/kay21s/dpdk/blob/master/examples/pthread/main.c
> It has a default NUM_QUEUE=2, which means port 0 is configured with 2
> queues, and 2 rx threads and 2 tx threads are launched.
> Is there any problem in my implementation? or DPDK does not support it?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Kai

You aren't rxmode.mq_mode therefore you are getting the default value
of 0 == ETH_MQ_RX_NONE. You should set it to ETH_MQ_RX_RSS to enable
RSS mode.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Problem in multi-queue receiving
@ 2014-08-11  3:31   ` Kai Zhang
From: Kai Zhang @ 2014-08-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

Thanks, Stephen. That's the problem.