* [dpdk-dev] Dynamic port/pipe QoS configuration
@ 2014-10-13 22:54 satish
From: satish @ 2014-10-13 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
We are trying to provide QoS support for one of our clients using rte_sched.
In our implementation we are treating each pipe as a customer.
So, we can have maximum of 4096 customers per sub-port.
Customers(pipe) can be added, deleted or modified dynamically. Each
customer can have different profiles.

Currently we are using DPDK-v1.6.
Can I modify pipe profile during run time using rte_sched_pipe_config ()?

Our plan is to have initial configs as below (similar to examples in DPDK)
[1] Specify port params at the initialization of port as below
static struct rte_sched_port_params port_param = {
:
:
.n_subports_per_port = 1,
.n_pipes_per_subport = 4096,
.qsize = {64, 64, 64, 64},
.pipe_profiles = pipe_profile,
.n_pipe_profiles = 1,
}

[2]
static struct rte_sched_subport_params subport_param[] = {
{
.tb_rate = Link speed (1G/10G..) divided by 8 (bits),
.tb_size = 1000000,

.tc_rate = {Same as tb_rate, Same as tb_rate, Same as tb_rate, Same as
tb_rate},
.tc_period = 10,
},
};

[3]
static struct rte_sched_pipe_params pipe_profile[] = {
{ /* Profile #0 */
.tb_rate = Link speed (1G/10G..) divided by 8 (bits)/4096 (maximum number
of pipes),
.tb_size = 1000000,

.tc_rate = {pipe's tb_rate, pipe's tb_rate, pipe's tb_rate, pipe's tb_rate},
.tc_period = 40,

.wrr_weights = {16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1},
},
};

Our plan here is to initialize the pipe with default profile and modify
each pipe based on user configurations.
My questions are
[a] Can I modify pipe profile during run time using rte_sched_pipe_config
()? (question repeated)
If I can modify at pipe level,
[b] Can we have different profiles for pipes, With one default profile at
initialization?
[c] Can we modify port level params without deleting the port using
rte_sched_port_config ()?

Please provide your valuable comments.
Thanks in advance.

Satish Babu

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Dynamic port/pipe QoS configuration
@ 2014-10-17 21:59 ` satish
       [not found]   ` <251C79C4-74C5-4EF9-A987-3B4DB94A31D5@intel.com>
From: satish @ 2014-10-17 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
Can someone please respond to below?
Thank you.

@ 2014-10-18  9:16   ` Stephen Hemminger
       [not found]   ` <251C79C4-74C5-4EF9-A987-3B4DB94A31D5@intel.com>
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2014-10-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: satish; +Cc: dev

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:59:35 -0700
satish <nsatishbabu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone please respond to below?
> Thank you.
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM, satish <nsatishbabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > We are trying to provide QoS support for one of our clients using
> > rte_sched.
> > In our implementation we are treating each pipe as a customer.
> > So, we can have maximum of 4096 customers per sub-port.
> > Customers(pipe) can be added, deleted or modified dynamically. Each
> > customer can have different profiles.
> >
> > Currently we are using DPDK-v1.6.
> > Can I modify pipe profile during run time using rte_sched_pipe_config ()?
> >
> > Our plan is to have initial configs as below (similar to examples in DPDK)
> > [1] Specify port params at the initialization of port as below
> > static struct rte_sched_port_params port_param = {
> > :
> > :
> > .n_subports_per_port = 1,
> > .n_pipes_per_subport = 4096,
> > .qsize = {64, 64, 64, 64},
> > .pipe_profiles = pipe_profile,
> > .n_pipe_profiles = 1,
> > }
> >
> > [2]
> > static struct rte_sched_subport_params subport_param[] = {
> > {
> > .tb_rate = Link speed (1G/10G..) divided by 8 (bits),
> > .tb_size = 1000000,
> >
> > .tc_rate = {Same as tb_rate, Same as tb_rate, Same as tb_rate, Same as
> > tb_rate},
> > .tc_period = 10,
> > },
> > };
> >
> > [3]
> > static struct rte_sched_pipe_params pipe_profile[] = {
> > { /* Profile #0 */
> > .tb_rate = Link speed (1G/10G..) divided by 8 (bits)/4096 (maximum number
> > of pipes),
> > .tb_size = 1000000,
> >
> > .tc_rate = {pipe's tb_rate, pipe's tb_rate, pipe's tb_rate, pipe's
> > tb_rate},
> > .tc_period = 40,
> >
> > .wrr_weights = {16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1,  16, 4, 2, 1},
> > },
> > };
> >
> > Our plan here is to initialize the pipe with default profile and modify
> > each pipe based on user configurations.
> > My questions are
> > [a] Can I modify pipe profile during run time using rte_sched_pipe_config
> > ()? (question repeated)
> > If I can modify at pipe level,
> > [b] Can we have different profiles for pipes, With one default profile at
> > initialization?
> > [c] Can we modify port level params without deleting the port using
> > rte_sched_port_config ()?

[a] no
[b] no
[c] no

Read the code.

@ 2014-10-20 19:21     ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2014-10-20 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi Satish,

Yes, you can change the pipe configuration during run-time, but in a slightly different way. The way to do it is by defining multiple pipe profiles at the port level initialization time and reassigning the pipe to a different level at run-time.

The pipe profiles are statically defined per port at initialization time (their number is configurable through rte_sched_port_params:: n_pipe_profiles parameter), so you need to know in advance the set of profiles you want to use at run-time. You can assign pipe X to profile A initially, then re-assign it to profile B later on (by using function rte_sched_pipe_config()).

Regards,
Cristian

From: satish <nsatishbabu@gmail.com<mailto:nsatishbabu@gmail.com>>
Date: October 17, 2014 at 2:59:35 PM PDT
To: <dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Dynamic port/pipe QoS configuration

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM, satish <nsatishbabu@gmail.com<mailto:nsatishbabu@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Dynamic port/pipe QoS configuration
@ 2014-10-20 21:05       ` satish
From: satish @ 2014-10-20 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian; +Cc: dev

Thanks a lot Cristian!!