* [dpdk-dev] Cross-compilation of bsdapp on Ubuntu
@ 2015-01-09 17:14 Ravi Kerur
From: Ravi Kerur @ 2015-01-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Has anyone successfully cross compiled bsdapp on Ubuntu or other linux
flavor? From the Linux documentation I see

"To compile all 64-bit targets using gcc, use:

make install T=x86_64*gcc"

which makes me believe that bsdapp can be cross-compiled.

I am trying to understand what GNU libraries and other toolchain
related installation has to be done on Linux in order to get bsd
successfully compiled.  Inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Ravi

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Cross-compilation of bsdapp on Ubuntu
@ 2015-01-12 11:21 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-01-12 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Kerur; +Cc: dev

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 09:14:16AM -0800, Ravi Kerur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully cross compiled bsdapp on Ubuntu or other linux
> flavor? From the Linux documentation I see
>
> "To compile all 64-bit targets using gcc, use:
>
> make install T=x86_64*gcc"
>
> which makes me believe that bsdapp can be cross-compiled.

Actually, I think it's just that that bit got missed in the documentation update
when we added bsd support. :-)
I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully built a bsdapp dpdk application on
linux or vice-version.

/Bruce

@ 2015-01-12 13:51   ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2015-01-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:21:32AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 09:14:16AM -0800, Ravi Kerur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone successfully cross compiled bsdapp on Ubuntu or other linux
> > flavor? From the Linux documentation I see
> >
> > "To compile all 64-bit targets using gcc, use:
> >
> > make install T=x86_64*gcc"
> >
> > which makes me believe that bsdapp can be cross-compiled.
>
> Actually, I think it's just that that bit got missed in the documentation update
> when we added bsd support. :-)
> I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully built a bsdapp dpdk application on
> linux or vice-version.

You're not going to be able to cross compile bsd on a linux system or vice versa
unless you install system level compat libs to handle all the OS-specific
library calls.  Those exist, but its usually not worth the effort to do so.
Just as easy/easier to install a virt guest with the appropriate operating
system.

Neil

@ 2015-01-15 20:30     ` Ravi Kerur
From: Ravi Kerur @ 2015-01-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)