* Traffic Management API Questions
@ 2022-12-29  1:26 Venky Venkatesh
From: Venky Venkatesh @ 2022-12-29  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I was looking at the DPDK Traffic Management API. I wanted to clarify some
things that I understand from the code (for software based TM
implementation (at 20.11)) vs the documentation.

   - The documentation says "Traffic shaping: single/*dual rate,* private (*per
   node*) and shared (by *multiple nodes*) shapers" are supported. However
   it appears that the code supports only *single *rate shapers. Is my
   understanding correct?
      - If not, pls point me to where dual rate shaping is supported in the
      software based TM implementation code.
      - However, if my understanding is correct, can the authors clarify
      the nature of issues they ran into in supporting dual rate (which thus
      prevented them from implementing it)?
   - The documentation comment above sounds like every node can have
   shapers. However it appears that the code does not support shaping at the
   port level. Again the same questions as above(regarding the accuracy of my
   understanding and if it is accurate, the reasons from the author for not
   supporting it)
   - At the level of the TM API (*and* the associated software TM
   implementation) are there any restrictions on the number of levels of QoS
   hierarchy we can construct?
   - Lastly, does the QoS framework API (which I suppose is built on lower
   level building blocks including the TM API) expose the entire capabilities
   of the TM API (e.g. dual rate shapers, shapers at port level, > 4 levels of
   shaping etc.)? From the reading of the documentation it appears that there
   may be restrictions imposed by the QoS framework API on top of what TM API
   imposes. Can someone pls confirm this (and if so, the reason for doing so)?

Thanks
-Venky

* Traffic Management API Questions
@ 2023-01-05 12:07 Venky Venkatesh