* [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2013-12-23  9:18 Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2013-12-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I can't find a MACRO for this nic in rte_pci_dev_ids.h, does this mean this
isn't supported as of this moment ?

I only saw MACROS for x540t and x540t1.

Cheers
Pepe

--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-02 14:24 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-01-02 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

23/12/2013 10:18, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> I can't find a MACRO for this nic in rte_pci_dev_ids.h, does this mean this
> isn't supported as of this moment ?

Yes
But probably that
	hw->mac.type = ixgbe_mac_X540
apply also to x540-at2.

Please to try to add it and send the patch if it works.
--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-03  9:09   ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Sorry I accidentally excluded the list.  I've pasted the replies:

I see thanks.

I'm actually running my DPDK application on a guest OS but I'm always
getting an invalid instruction error.  I was thinking that this was due to
ixgbevf driver in guest that commands the host driver which is not-fully
supported by DPDK, and consequently ran an invalid instruction.  This
brings me back to the questions:

Are SR-IOV virtual function drivers supported by DPDK  PMD (I guess yes) ?
 If yes, does the physical function (host) driver affects the DPDK
application in any way especially if it isn't fully supported yet by DPDK?

I've tried looking at incompatibility issues with respect to compiler and
processor archs. but it seems OK to me.

Thanks,
Pepe

SR-IOV is supported. There are dependencies with PF driver which handle NIC
configuration. VF/PF communication is done via mailbox.

Please use the list.

Thomas

--

@ 2014-01-03  9:16     ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-03  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Thanks again.  So there is a possibility that vf will fail with DPDK due to
not fully supported pf.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Pepe

@ 2014-01-03  9:56       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-01-03  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

03/01/2014 10:16, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> Thanks again.  So there is a possibility that vf will fail with DPDK due to
> not fully supported pf.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Please Jose, better describe your use case in order to have the right answer.

The standard SR-IOV use case is to use a recent ixgbe driver from kernel.org
or from sourceforge.net for the PF on the host. Then use ixgbevf from DPDK in
the guest.
It should work.
It is documented in chapter 9 (IXGBE/IGB Virtual Function Driver) of the
programmer's guide:
	http://dpdk.org/doc

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-03 10:09         ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-03 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas,

I thought I was clear enough, sorry for the confusion.

I am running a DPDK application in a guest VM which uses one VF.  This VM
runs on top of the host that has an x540-at2 NIC and uses the ixgbe driver.
 The issue was that every time I run the DPDK application in the VM it
errors an invalid instruction and stops there.

I've come into a conclusion that NIC x540-at2 isn't fully supported by DPDK
because i can't find a MACRO for it in rte_pci_dev_ids.h.  Consequently, I
came into a suspicion that this is somewhat causing the DPDK application
that runs in the VM to fail, for the reason that the VF in the VM may be
trying to perform some capabilities in the PF (x540-at2) that is not
available.

Cheers,
Pepe

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Thomas Monjalon

--

@ 2014-01-03 10:26           ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-01-03 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

03/01/2014 11:09, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> I am running a DPDK application in a guest VM which uses one VF.  This VM
> runs on top of the host that has an x540-at2 NIC and uses the ixgbe driver.
>  The issue was that every time I run the DPDK application in the VM it
> errors an invalid instruction and stops there.

First, have you added x540-at2 in ixgbe_type.h, ixgbe_api.c and
rte_pci_dev_ids.h ?
What is the invalid instruction ? Have you tried to debug it ?

I don't know this NIC so I'm afraid you should debug it by yourself.

Please, keep us informed if you make it working.
--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-03 10:31             ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-03 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

I haven't added it yet, because as of the moment I do not have an access to
the built DPDK library I was using.  I was just linking it with my DPDK
application.

I tried to debug it with GDB and disassembled it, the invalid instruction
was "vzeroupper" which occurs at rte_eal_init, somewhere when initializing
pthreads.

Ok, I'll to debug more and get more information.

Thanks again,
Pepe

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Thomas Monjalon

--

@ 2014-01-03 13:43               ` Venkatesan, Venky
From: Venkatesan, Venky @ 2014-01-03 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

Pepe ,

Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in the VM? It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the vzeroupper). Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction set the VM supports?

-Venky

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2014-01-03 13:59                 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-01-03 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

03/01/2014 13:43, Venkatesan, Venky :
> "Jose Gavine Cueto" <pepedocs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I tried to debug it with GDB and disassembled it, the invalid instruction
> > was "vzeroupper" which occurs at rte_eal_init, somewhere when initializing
> > pthreads.

> Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in the VM?
> It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the vzeroupper).
> Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction set the VM
> supports?

If you are using qemu, the instruction set of the host CPU is used thanks to
	-cpu host

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-05 14:31                 ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkatesan, Venky; +Cc: dev

Hi Venky,

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Venkatesan, Venky <
venky.venkatesan@intel.com> wrote:

> Pepe ,
>
> Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in the
> VM? It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the
> vzeroupper). Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction set
> the VM supports?

Yes, it was compiled in a different machine and it was used in my VM.  I
don't have cpuinfo prog as of the moment so I've pasted my VM's cpuinfo
file instead.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2658.957
cache size      : 6144 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc
rep_good nopl pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5317.91
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

 It seems that there is no avx here, does this mean this doesn't support
avx instructions ?

Thanks,
Pepe

@ 2014-01-05 14:54                   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-01-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

05/01/2014 22:31, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> venky.venkatesan@intel.com> wrote:
> > Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in the
> > VM? It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the
> > vzeroupper). Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction set
> > the VM supports?
>
> Yes, it was compiled in a different machine and it was used in my VM.
[...]
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc
> rep_good nopl pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
[...]
>  It seems that there is no avx here, does this mean this doesn't support
> avx instructions ?

Yes, you have no avx on this machine.
Tip to clearly check this type of flag:
	grep --color -m1 avx /proc/cpuinfo

So, you have 2 solutions:
1) build DPDK on this machine
2) build DPDK for a default machine:
	CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE=default
defconfig files are wrongly called "default" but have CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE set to
native. So the compilation flags are guessed from /proc/cpuinfo. You can look
for AUTO_CPUFLAGS to better understand it.

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] intel x540-at2
@ 2014-01-06  6:03                     ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-06  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Thomas Monjalon
<thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>wrote:

> 05/01/2014 22:31, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> > venky.venkatesan@intel.com> wrote:
> > > Was the DPDK library compiled on a different machine and the used in
> the
> > > VM? It looks like it has been compiled for native AVX (hence the
> > > vzeroupper). Could you dump cpuinfo in the VM and see what instruction
> set
> > > the VM supports?
> >
> > Yes, it was compiled in a different machine and it was used in my VM.
> [...]
> > model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm
> constant_tsc
> > rep_good nopl pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
> [...]
> >  It seems that there is no avx here, does this mean this doesn't support
> > avx instructions ?
>
> Yes, you have no avx on this machine.
> Tip to clearly check this type of flag:
>         grep --color -m1 avx /proc/cpuinfo
>
> So, you have 2 solutions:
> 1) build DPDK on this machine
> 2) build DPDK for a default machine:
>         CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE=default
> defconfig files are wrongly called "default" but have CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE
> set to
> native. So the compilation flags are guessed from /proc/cpuinfo. You can
> look
> for AUTO_CPUFLAGS to better understand it.
>
> --
> Thomas

Thanks and I will try your suggestion.  I will also post the result
whenever it is available, for the meantime I will be rebuilding the DPDK
lib.

Cheers,
Pepe

--

@ 2014-01-08  6:13                       ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2014-01-08  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi,

Just to let you know that the invalid instruction error above went away
when AVX was enabled using host model cpu mode in the VM.

Thanks,
Pepe