* [dpdk-dev] Pktgen DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD (LACP) not working with BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled
@ 2017-01-11 18:08 Vincent Li
From: Vincent Li @ 2017-01-11 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: dev

Hi,

I have direct two cable connections between Pktgen DPDK box and BIGIP

this is a problem I am not sure if it Pktgen, or the DPDK net bonding mode
4 LACP, or the BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled issue, I am hoping someone
here have more clue and give me some direction on how to trouble shoot
this. I am suspecting there might some issue between DPDK net bonding
8023ad mode 4 and BIGIP trunk LACP mode. I turned
on CONFIG_RTE_LOG_LEVEL=RTE_LOG_DEBUG and
defined RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c hoping getting more debug
output in Pktgen, I could not see any debug output for 8023ad protocol.

packet tx/rx works :

1 Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 1, 2, 3, 5
2 BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk port status UP)

packet tx/rx failed:

1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
2, BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled (trunk status is DOWN)

or
1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
2, BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk status is UP)

my end goal is to achieve 10G < througput < 20G with Pktgen DPDK net
bonding with Intel 82599 to load test BIGIP, so far with bonding mode 1,
2,3, 5, I am unable to achieve throughput > 10G.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Pktgen DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD (LACP) not working with BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled
@ 2017-01-11 18:51 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2017-01-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Li; +Cc: users, dev

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Vincent Li <vincent.mc.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have direct two cable connections between Pktgen DPDK box and BIGIP
>
> this is a problem I am not sure if it Pktgen, or the DPDK net bonding mode
> 4 LACP, or the BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled issue, I am hoping someone
> here have more clue and give me some direction on how to trouble shoot
> this. I am suspecting there might some issue between DPDK net bonding
> 8023ad mode 4 and BIGIP trunk LACP mode. I turned
> on CONFIG_RTE_LOG_LEVEL=RTE_LOG_DEBUG and
> defined RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
> in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c hoping getting more debug
> output in Pktgen, I could not see any debug output for 8023ad protocol.

I am not going to be much help as I do not and have not used BIGIP.

I assume you have the Pktgen that supports bonding mode 4. The previous Pktgen version would not call tx_burst() unless it had something to send, which the bonding driver requires tx_burst() with zero packets at least at a given interval. The latest versions do call tx_burst() with zero pkts at least within the needed timing.

> packet tx/rx works :
>
> 1 Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 1, 2, 3, 5
> 2 BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk port status UP)
>
> packet tx/rx failed:
>
> 1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
> 2, BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled (trunk status is DOWN)
>
> or
> 1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
> 2, BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk status is UP)
>
> my end goal is to achieve 10G < througput < 20G with Pktgen DPDK net
> bonding with Intel 82599 to load test BIGIP, so far with bonding mode 1,
> 2,3, 5, I am unable to achieve throughput > 10G.

Regards,
Keith

@ 2017-01-11 19:08   ` Vincent Li
From: Vincent Li @ 2017-01-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users, dev

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles@intel.com>
wrote:

> > On Jan 11, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Vincent Li <vincent.mc.li@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have direct two cable connections between Pktgen DPDK box and BIGIP
> >
> > this is a problem I am not sure if it Pktgen, or the DPDK net bonding
> mode
> > 4 LACP, or the BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled issue, I am hoping someone
> > here have more clue and give me some direction on how to trouble shoot
> > this. I am suspecting there might some issue between DPDK net bonding
> > 8023ad mode 4 and BIGIP trunk LACP mode. I turned
> > on CONFIG_RTE_LOG_LEVEL=RTE_LOG_DEBUG and
> > defined RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
> > in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c hoping getting more debug
> > output in Pktgen, I could not see any debug output for 8023ad protocol.
>
> I am not going to be much help as I do not and have not used BIGIP.
>
> I assume you have the Pktgen that supports bonding mode 4. The previous
> Pktgen version would not call tx_burst() unless it had something to send,
> which the bonding driver requires tx_burst() with zero packets at least at
> a given interval. The latest versions do call tx_burst() with zero pkts at
> least within the needed timing.
>
> Yes, I am using latest Pktgen with latest DPDK and run Pktgen like:

# ./app/app/x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc/pktgen -c 0xff
 --vdev=net_bonding0,mode=4,xmit_policy=l34,slave=0000:04:00.1,slave=0000:04:00.0
-- -P -m [0:1-7].2

also I am not sure where net bonding  debug log goes as I added

#define RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD 1

in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c and the code has following

#ifdef RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
#define MODE4_DEBUG(fmt, ...) RTE_LOG(DEBUG, PMD, "%6u [Port %u: %s] " fmt,
\
                        bond_dbg_get_time_diff_ms(), slave_id, \
                        __func__, ##__VA_ARGS__)