* [dpdk-dev] Performance issue with vmxnet3 pmd
@ 2014-07-07 22:22 Hyunseok
From: Hyunseok @ 2014-07-07 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I was testing l2-fwd with vmxnet3 pmd (included in dpdk).

The maximum forwarding rate I got from vmxnet3 pmd with l2fwd is only 2.5
to 2.8 Gbps.

This is in contrast with ixgbe pmd with which I could easily achieve 10
gbps forwarding rate.

With the original vmxnet3 driver (non pmd), I could also achieve close to
10 gpbs with multiple iperf.   But I can never achieve that rate with
vmxnet3 pmd...

So basically vmxnet3 pmd doesn't seem that fast.  Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
-Hyunseok