* [dpdk-dev] Build DPDK with Google bazel
@ 2015-05-24  0:53 Ming Zhao
From: Ming Zhao @ 2015-05-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

bazel(http://bazel.io) is the open sourced version of Google build
tool, and it has proved itself is a nice solution for monolithic
server side development. In our company, we use both to build our
products and it greatly reduced the hurdle of rolling out any change
because we put the whole DPDK source code into tree and the build
process can easily produce final binaries at any point(i.e. we can put
a fix to DPDK code and the build process will always produce
up-to-date binary based on the change).

We pushed all our changes to github in "bazel"
branch(https://github.com/mzhaom/dpdk/tree/bazel) in case any one
wants to try it. At the moment, due to the complexity of setting up
bazel BUILD files to handle different compilation settings, we are not
actively pursuing to integrate these changes back to upstream. But
I'll be happy to answer any question and provide help in case anyone
wants to do so.

Thanks!

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Build DPDK with Google bazel
@ 2015-05-26 15:01 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-05-26 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ming Zhao; +Cc: dev

On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:53:27 -0700
Ming Zhao <mzhao@luminatewireless.com> wrote:

> bazel(http://bazel.io) is the open sourced version of Google build
> tool, and it has proved itself is a nice solution for monolithic
> server side development. In our company, we use both to build our
> products and it greatly reduced the hurdle of rolling out any change
> because we put the whole DPDK source code into tree and the build
> process can easily produce final binaries at any point(i.e. we can put
> a fix to DPDK code and the build process will always produce
> up-to-date binary based on the change).
>
> We pushed all our changes to github in "bazel"
> branch(https://github.com/mzhaom/dpdk/tree/bazel) in case any one
> wants to try it. At the moment, due to the complexity of setting up
> bazel BUILD files to handle different compilation settings, we are not
> actively pursuing to integrate these changes back to upstream. But
> I'll be happy to answer any question and provide help in case anyone
> wants to do so.
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for doing this, but please don't try and convert us.

As an experience Unix/Linux person, new glitzy build systems are kind
of a sore point. If you can make it work for you great, but let's keep
the DPDK as simple as possible.