* [dpdk-dev] Must kni be associated with a dpdk port?
@ 2016-03-30 17:20 ALeX Wang
From: ALeX Wang @ 2016-03-30 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I want to use 'rte_kni_alloc()' to create a kernel iface and
use it to test application rx.  From the api and example in
'examples/kni/main.c', i saw the 'conf' argument is assigned
with pci info of a dpdk port.

Want to ask if this is compulsory...  Must kni always be
used together with a dpdk port?

Alex Wang,

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Must kni be associated with a dpdk port?
@ 2016-03-31  9:55 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2016-03-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALeX Wang, dev

On 3/30/2016 6:20 PM, ALeX Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use 'rte_kni_alloc()' to create a kernel iface and
> use it to test application rx.  From the api and example in
> 'examples/kni/main.c', i saw the 'conf' argument is assigned
> with pci info of a dpdk port.
>
> Want to ask if this is compulsory...  Must kni always be
> used together with a dpdk port?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Alex,

You don't have to associate kni with dpdk port.

pci info is required for ethtool support, if you are only interested in
data transfer, you don't have to provide pci information.

Regards,
ferruh

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Must kni be associated with a dpdk port?
@ 2016-03-31 15:22   ` ALeX Wang
From: ALeX Wang @ 2016-03-31 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dev

Thx a lot, for the answer,!