* [dpdk-dev] DPDK on bare-metal machine
       [not found] <BAY177-W41B0EB5E47C4EE7099BDCF28D0@phx.gbl>
@ 2013-06-19  7:20 ` Adeel Amin
From: Adeel Amin @ 2013-06-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

Can anyone tell me that how I can run a DPDK application as a bare-metal (i.e. without Linux support). I've tried to run rump kernel TCP/IP stack by Antti Kantee but I'm unable to figure out that how I'll be using it to run stand alone on x86 CPU. Currently I'm running the rump kernel as a Linux application.
Thank you.
Adeel Amin
Email:  adeel_amin@hotmail.com

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK on bare-metal machine
@ 2013-06-19  8:28   ` Antti Kantee
From: Antti Kantee @ 2013-06-19  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adeel Amin; +Cc: dev

On 19.06.2013 09:20, Adeel Amin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me that how I can run a DPDK application as a bare-metal (i.e. without Linux support). I've tried to run rump kernel TCP/IP stack by Antti Kantee but I'm unable to figure out that how I'll be using it to run stand alone on x86 CPU. Currently I'm running the rump kernel as a Linux application.

Hi,

As far as I've been able to gather, the open source version of DPDK does
not include bare-metal support.  However, I'm not very knowledgeable on
DPDK, especially on code which I cannot read myself, so maybe someone
else can answer that better.

I do know something about rump kernels, though.  One of main future use
cases I see is indeed to have them run on bare metal and therefore allow
to continue use essential kernel-only implemented features but still get
rid of the prehistoric OS overhead layer.  I have good reason to suspect
that running rump kernels this would be easy, but as far as I know, no
one has done the necessary work, at least not for x86.  Unless the
bare-metal version of DPDK provides a suitable portability layer, you'd
be looking at implementing the rump kernel hypervisor interface for bare
metal (or bare firmware ?-).  In such a case, you might find using that
using also the device layer from a rump kernel is the shortest path to
initial success, with migration to DPDK only after reaching stability in
that setup.

But, that's getting quite off-topic for this list.  Contact me off-list
if you are serious about putting effort into the above.

   - antti

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK on bare-metal machine
@ 2013-06-19  8:34     ` Jia.Sui
From: Jia.Sui(贾睢) @ 2013-06-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Kantee, Adeel Amin; +Cc: dev

Hi Antti

As the DPDK release note said:
The Intel®DPDK Bare-metal features will now be provided off-roadmap to a limited set of customers on a case-by-case basis at this time.
Please contact your Intel representative if you wish to be considered as an evaluation candidate for the Baremetal features.

I haven't use bare-metal before. Sorry..

BRs
Jia Sui

@ 2013-06-19 14:57       ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2013-06-19 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jia.Sui; +Cc: dev

With latest (3.9 or later) kernels the overhead from Linux kernel is minimal and shrinking
fast. The only overhead left is the timer tick and that is being eliminated.
Of course it is easy to write slow code and use system calls and defeat the purpose of DPDK.

Has anyone experimented with making the DPDK threads marked as real-time to keep
other processes away?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK on bare-metal machine
@ 2013-06-20  5:32   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2013-06-20  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adeel Amin; +Cc: dev

The following might be interesting to you.

https://speakerdeck.com/multicorenz/bare-metal-multicore-performance-in-a-general-purpose-operating-system

It describes recent work to get kernel out of the way.