* Re: [dpdk-dev] working with VMXNET3 driver in a "NIC Connected to a vSwitch" setup on VMware
@ 2014-10-29 17:48 Yan Freedland
From: Yan Freedland @ 2014-10-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi

I am interested in working with VMXNET3 driver in a NIC - vSwitch fashion on VMware.

For that purpose I did the following:

1.       On my VMware VM I compiled the driver and loaded it as described in http://dpdk.org/doc/vmxnet3-usermap

2.       Using vSphere client I created 2 network adapters of VMXNET3 type and assigned a relevant port-group to allow a client-server connectivity later on.

My question is how should I pick and bind ports to the driver. Should I use dpdk_nic_bind.py script as I did with igb_uio ? if yes, how may I find the port addresses ?

Besides should I do something special in environment initialization (e.g. ports, memory, etc...) that I didn't do for virtio or ixgbe ?
For instance it looks logical to me to use vmxnet3-usermap in my commands (e.g. dpdk_nic_bind.py --bind= vmxnet3-usermap <port number>) instead of igb_uio but I don't really know how.

Thank you
Yan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] working with VMXNET3 driver in a "NIC Connected to a vSwitch" setup on VMware
@ 2014-10-30 15:16 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-10-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yan Freedland; +Cc: dev

2014-10-29 17:48, Yan Freedland:
> I am interested in working with VMXNET3 driver in a NIC - vSwitch
> fashion on VMware.
>
> For that purpose I did the following:
>

> 1.       On my VMware VM I compiled the driver and loaded it as described
> in http://dpdk.org/doc/vmxnet3-usermap
>
> 2.       Using vSphere client I created 2 network adapters of VMXNET3 type
> and assigned a relevant port-group to allow a client-server connectivity
> later on.
>
> My question is how should I pick and bind ports to the driver.
> Should I use dpdk_nic_bind.py script as I did with igb_uio ?
> if yes, how may I find the port addresses ?
>
> Besides should I do something special in environment initialization
> (e.g. ports, memory, etc...) that I didn't do for virtio or ixgbe ?
> For instance it looks logical to me to use vmxnet3-usermap in my commands
> (e.g. dpdk_nic_bind.py --bind= vmxnet3-usermap <port number>) instead
> of igb_uio but I don't really know how.

Just follow the documentation:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/vmxnet3-usermap
This implementation doesn't use uio and doesn't need dpdk_nic_bind.py.

--
Thomas