* crypto decryption support in test-crypto-perf pmd-cycle-count test
@ 2023-07-21 10:36 Suanming Mou
From: Suanming Mou @ 2023-07-21 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ciara.power, gakhil; +Cc: dev

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I have one small question with pmd-cycle-count test in test-crypto-perf application.
As in pmd-cycle-count run code, I don't see the cperf_mbuf_set() function is called to fill the test data.
So for decryption, I assume it will always fails. Feel like pmd-cycle-count test does not expect to support decryption. Or is it a bug?

I have no idea with the application design background, is it expected?

Thanks,
Suanming Mou

* RE: crypto decryption support in test-crypto-perf pmd-cycle-count test
@ 2023-07-21 11:48 ` Akhil Goyal
From: Akhil Goyal @ 2023-07-21 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suanming Mou, ciara.power; +Cc: dev

Hi Suanming,

The pmd-cycle-count mode is for counting the cycles for enqueue and dequeue.
It does not matter what is the content of the packet, as we are not validating the content
after dequeue of the packet. PMD/Hw will assume it as plain/encrypted payload and
will process it as per the session attached.
Hence, doing memcpy to mbuf is not required.

Regards,
Akhil

@ 2023-07-21 11:52   ` Suanming Mou
From: Suanming Mou @ 2023-07-21 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akhil Goyal, ciara.power; +Cc: dev

Thanks Akhil.
Yes, I see.
But for decryption, we should prepare the correct cipher data, right? Or that test does not make any sense.
I assume decryption with incorrect data will cause PMD reject work properly.

@ 2023-07-21 12:03     ` Akhil Goyal
From: Akhil Goyal @ 2023-07-21 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suanming Mou, ciara.power; +Cc: dev

Yes, for auth cases, the PMD may give errors. However, cipher only cases would work without issues.
You can send a patch to fix this. But make sure not to add that inside the time keeping loop.

@ 2023-07-21 12:09       ` Suanming Mou
From: Suanming Mou @ 2023-07-21 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akhil Goyal, ciara.power; +Cc: dev

Sure, in fact I also find throughput testing with decryption and in-place-mode will override the cipher data in the single mbuf as well. So I assume out-of-place mode is valid in that case.
I will try to deliver some patches when have effort.  Thank you!