* [dpdk-dev] L2FWD uses 'too much' CPU
@ 2014-04-01  5:24 Fred Pedrisa
       [not found] ` <067001cf4dc8$b18539d0$148fad70$@gmail.com>
From: Fred Pedrisa @ 2014-04-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Why by default L2FWD saturate both cores ? I mean, it seems it keeps wasting
cycles due to the infinite loop placed there to check the queues.

Which would be the way to improve this and make it to become more efficient
?

Sincerely,

Fred

* Re: [dpdk-dev] L2FWD uses 'too much' CPU
@ 2014-04-01 16:36 ` Vladimir Medvedkin
       [not found] ` <067001cf4dc8$b18539d0$148fad70$@gmail.com>
From: Vladimir Medvedkin @ 2014-04-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Pedrisa; +Cc: dev

Hi,

One of the objectives of DPDK is avoiding of interrupts, so application
(not only L2FWD) polls NIC infineteley. You can look at  programmers guide
section 24 "Power Management" and "L3 Forwarding with Power Management
Sample Application" in  Sample Applications User Guide.

Regards,
Vladimir.

> Why by default L2FWD saturate both cores ? I mean, it seems it keeps
> wasting
> cycles due to the infinite loop placed there to check the queues.
>

> Which would be the way to improve this and make it to become more efficient
> ?
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Fred

* [dpdk-dev] RES:  L2FWD uses 'too much' CPU
       [not found] ` <067001cf4dc8$b18539d0$148fad70$@gmail.com>
@ 2014-04-01 16:43   ` Fred Pedrisa
From: Fred Pedrisa @ 2014-04-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Vladimir Medvedkin'; +Cc: dev

Hello,

Ok. Can you help me with something else ?

Right now, at a rate of 1.3~1.4 Mpps I am having about 4~5% of packet loss,
I wonder if I use my application wth a 10G NIC, will it not be able to cope
with more than 1.4 Mpps ? Because by seeing a packet loss I got a little
afraid of it.

Sincerely,

Fred