* [dpdk-dev] Debug info
@ 2015-04-20 17:51 Shankari Vaidyalingam
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-04-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I have developed an application with DPDK.
While executing the same I can see the application quitting half way (i.e
producing only half of the expected output - terminating abruptly).
I think that something is going wrong which is causing the program to crash.

Would like to know if it is possible to get the crashdump with programs
written in DPDK.
If possible please let me know how I can use GDB to debug the crash.
I have heard that rte_panic is used for creating stack trace. As per my
understanding I think that can be done if I know the exact statement which
is causing the crash. But in my application I'm not able to trace the exact
location of failure as the output differs during each run.

Pls help.

Regards
Shankari.V

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Debug info
@ 2015-04-20 18:04 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-04-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankari Vaidyalingam, dev

On 4/20/15, 12:51 PM, "Shankari Vaidyalingam" <shankari.v2k6@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have developed an application with DPDK.
>While executing the same I can see the application quitting half way (i.e
>producing only half of the expected output - terminating abruptly).
>I think that something is going wrong which is causing the program to
>crash.
>
>Would like to know if it is possible to get the crashdump with programs
>written in DPDK.
>If possible please let me know how I can use GDB to debug the crash.
>I have heard that rte_panic is used for creating stack trace. As per my
>understanding I think that can be done if I know the exact statement which
>is causing the crash. But in my application I'm not able to trace the
>exact
>location of failure as the output differs during each run.

I use gdb and cgdb to debug pktgen application on Ubuntu 14.04

sudo cgdb ./app/pktgen

Then
gdb> run -c 1f -n 2 Š

This works very well, but you need to make sure you compile DPDK and your
application with option -g or -g -O0

Using Œmake install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-xclang¹ EXTRA_CFLAGS+=³-g
-O0"'