* [dpdk-dev] KNI ethtool related question
@ 2014-10-10 18:32 Harish Patil
From: Harish Patil @ 2014-10-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,
I would like to use KNI interface *only* for the ethtool/ifconfig support,
not for the data packets movement into and from the kernel. For the fast
path, I would like to use PMD. Is this doable? What are the other options
for a PMD driver to support standard linux utilities?
Thanks in adv.,
Harish

This message and any attached documents contain information from the sending company or its parent company(s), subsidiaries, divisions or branch offices that may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI ethtool related question
@ 2014-10-10 23:14 ` Zhou, Danny
From: Zhou, Danny @ 2014-10-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harish Patil, dev

Yes, it is doable. The KNI establishes software based request/response queues between
vNIC device in kernel and PMD in user space. So all ethtool commands will be interpreted by
KNI driver and forwarded to PMD which really configure NIC registers.

Basically, it is the only option. Or you have to call DPDK APIs to configure NIC in user space.