* [dpdk-dev] KNI automatic IP configuration
@ 2015-04-03 14:02 Olivier Deme
From: Olivier Deme @ 2015-04-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

Is it possible on Linux to get the Linux network manager to automatically configure a KNI virtual network interface as soon as it comes up?
I haven’t been able to get Fedora to apply the configuration under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-veth0 file upon starting my DPDK application.

Executing ifup veth0 manually works but somehow the fedora network manager seems to have an issue to apply the if cfg config automatically.
In the system logs I can see something along the lines “kni doesn’t support ethtool”. Is this related?

I also tried ifplugd but without success.

Many thanks for your help,

Olivier.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI automatic IP configuration
@ 2015-04-04 11:51 ` Zhou, Danny
From: Zhou, Danny @ 2015-04-04 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Deme, dev

Which NIC device are you using now?

KNI does not provide Ethtool support for all NICs supported by the Poll-Mode Drivers.

@ 2015-04-04 17:02   ` Olivier Deme
From: Olivier Deme @ 2015-04-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhou, Danny; +Cc: dev

Currently I’m using the e1000 PMD driver.

Thanks,
Olivier.

@ 2015-04-05  1:08     ` Zhou, Danny
From: Zhou, Danny @ 2015-04-05  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Deme; +Cc: dev

e1000 driver supports many different NIC devices.

Do you know your NIC device type or device_id?

@ 2015-04-16 11:16       ` Olivier Deme
From: Olivier Deme @ 2015-04-16 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhou, Danny; +Cc: dev

Hi, sorry to resurrect this question.
I am now using a virtio network interface in a qemu VM.
Is it possible to use ifplugd to automatically setup the IP
configuration of a KNI based interface?
Here is the output of lspci:
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio network device
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio network device
00:05.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio network device
00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio network device

Thanks for your help.
Olivier.

--
	*Olivier Demé*