DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering
@ 2014-10-07 14:36 Iain Rankin
  2014-10-09  3:12 ` Zhang, Helin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Iain Rankin @ 2014-10-07 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello all

I have recently started a project that requires DPDK and the new Fortville
40G nic.

I am totally new to DPDK so please excuse what might as dumb questions.

Was wondering if anyone can enlighten me to the DPDK support for a number
of filter types on Fortville / i40e.

I have dpdk 1.7.1 compiled and a number of filter type i've tried to call
up using testpmd report back "Operation not supported".

I have noticed in threads that there is ongoing work to provide hardware
based filtering support for fortville / i40e. Anyone know what the current
state of that?

Basically i am interested in L2 filtering on Fortville:
filter filter
mac filter
vlan filter
ether_type filter

Regards.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering
  2014-10-07 14:36 [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering Iain Rankin
@ 2014-10-09  3:12 ` Zhang, Helin
       [not found]   ` <CAPct7HJZ=otv7fEVJkiP826KpJGgUR-DZAhkPCwKZMHZ74XtWg@mail.gmail.com>
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2014-10-09  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Rankin, dev

Hi Iain

1.7.1 might not include newly developed/fixed filter features. See my comments in specific filters below.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Iain Rankin
> Sent: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 10:37 PM
> To: dev@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2
> filtering
> 
> Hello all
> 
> I have recently started a project that requires DPDK and the new Fortville 40G
> nic.
> 
> I am totally new to DPDK so please excuse what might as dumb questions.
> 
> Was wondering if anyone can enlighten me to the DPDK support for a number
> of filter types on Fortville / i40e.
> 
> I have dpdk 1.7.1 compiled and a number of filter type i've tried to call up using
> testpmd report back "Operation not supported".
> 
> I have noticed in threads that there is ongoing work to provide hardware based
> filtering support for fortville / i40e. Anyone know what the current state of
> that?
> 
> Basically i am interested in L2 filtering on Fortville:
> filter filter
> mac filter
Mac filter has already been enabled for a long time, there is a bug fix in a patches sent out recently mainly for supporting VMDq by Jing Chen
> vlan filter
Vlan filter has already been enabled for a long time, but it seems with bug, and now being investigated.
> ether_type filter
It has already been supported in the patches for "control packet filter", sent out by Jingjing Wu.
> 
> Regards.

Regards,
Helin

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering
       [not found]   ` <CAPct7HJZ=otv7fEVJkiP826KpJGgUR-DZAhkPCwKZMHZ74XtWg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-09  7:47     ` Zhang, Helin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2014-10-09  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Rankin; +Cc: dev

Hi Iain

It seems that all you wanted to use is about flow director or ether type filter which were all done by Jingjing
Yes, after we sent out patches to dpdk.org, there a lot of code changes have been merged into its master branch. Patching directly to the latest branch might fail. I have two ideas for you.

l  Wait to those being accepted, though I don’t think you will choose this way. ☺

l  Use git to merge them together, before those being accepted.

1.       Check when Jingjing sent out the patches

2.       find out by “git log” on your latest branch a commit which has the same date of Jingjing’s sending patches date

3.       branch a temporary branch based on that commit

4.       patch Jingjing’s code for filters. The patching could be successful 90%.

5.       Then merge the master branch to the temporary branch.

6.       All lastest code on master branch and patches for filters are all in the single branch.

Regards,
Helin

From: Iain Rankin [mailto:idrankin@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:36 PM
To: Zhang, Helin
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering

Hello Helin,

Many thanks for getting back to me, very much appreciated :)

I have been playing with 1.7.1 and its pretty limited with regard to filtering on i40e / Fortville. However, i do notice a number of patches in development that (i think) try to address them.

Our preference is to use L2 filtering (on Fortville 40G DPDK) as we want to steer received Ethernet frames to specific lcore queues. We are willing to consider using 5tuple filtering if L2 (flex) filtering is not available.

So in summary:

Preference 1: L2 Flex Filtering,  i.e. a method of recognising any arbitrary pattern within the first 128 bytes of a received packet (as described in testpmd documentation).
Preference 2: 5tuple filtering, i.e. a method to steer packet data based on tuple data; we will have to mangle our Ethernet frame to have source and destination ip addresses.

I have also made email contact with Jingjing regarding the patches. Unfortunately i get "hunk" errors when applying patches to the latest dpdk git repository.

Any additionally any information you may have on Fortville filtering ability would be greatly received.


Kind regards,

Iain

On 9 October 2014 04:12, Zhang, Helin <helin.zhang@intel.com<mailto:helin.zhang@intel.com>> wrote:
Hi Iain

1.7.1 might not include newly developed/fixed filter features. See my comments in specific filters below.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org<mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org>] On Behalf Of Iain Rankin
> Sent: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 10:37 PM
> To: dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>
> Subject: [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2
> filtering
>
> Hello all
>
> I have recently started a project that requires DPDK and the new Fortville 40G
> nic.
>
> I am totally new to DPDK so please excuse what might as dumb questions.
>
> Was wondering if anyone can enlighten me to the DPDK support for a number
> of filter types on Fortville / i40e.
>
> I have dpdk 1.7.1 compiled and a number of filter type i've tried to call up using
> testpmd report back "Operation not supported".
>
> I have noticed in threads that there is ongoing work to provide hardware based
> filtering support for fortville / i40e. Anyone know what the current state of
> that?
>
> Basically i am interested in L2 filtering on Fortville:
> filter filter
> mac filter
Mac filter has already been enabled for a long time, there is a bug fix in a patches sent out recently mainly for supporting VMDq by Jing Chen
> vlan filter
Vlan filter has already been enabled for a long time, but it seems with bug, and now being investigated.
> ether_type filter
It has already been supported in the patches for "control packet filter", sent out by Jingjing Wu.
>
> Regards.

Regards,
Helin


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2014-10-09  7:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2014-10-07 14:36 [dpdk-dev] Newbie question on Fortville / i40e with regards to L2 filtering Iain Rankin
2014-10-09  3:12 ` Zhang, Helin
     [not found]   ` <CAPct7HJZ=otv7fEVJkiP826KpJGgUR-DZAhkPCwKZMHZ74XtWg@mail.gmail.com>
2014-10-09  7:47     ` Zhang, Helin

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git