* [dpdk-dev] limited tx performance with VMware VM + PCI pass-through
@ 2016-05-23  8:03 Grisha Freilikhman
From: Grisha Freilikhman @ 2016-05-23  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dev@dpdk.org'

Setup
	ThinkServer RD650, Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3
	2*x710 ports pass-through (i40e driver)
	Dpdk 2.1
	Dpdk app doing forwarding from one port to another

Results
	When more than 7.5(50% of wire speed) MPPS sent with 64 bytes, Tx fails(rte_eth_tx_burst return with less than given packets to send).
	Rx on 1 port -> output 7.5 MPPS
	Rx on 2 ports -> each outputs 3.75 MPPS (total 7.5)

	This behavior happening only in virtual environment, bare Linux there is wire speed performance.

Question
	Is there any known issue? Or someone found encountered and fixed this?

Thanks,
Grisha Freilikhman
SW Engineer
Allot Communications
Tel +972 9 7628476
Cell +972 54 3063662
gfreilikhman@allot.com
www.allot.com

* Re: [dpdk-dev] limited tx performance with VMware VM + PCI pass-through
@ 2016-08-04 11:49 martin_curran-gray
From: martin_curran-gray @ 2016-08-04 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello Grisha,

I'm not sure which OS you are using.

We encountered  a problem moving from sandybridge based machines to haswell based machines, with using  pass-through to VMs.

We had to change to a newer version of our OS since the one we used was too old to understand the haswell.

We intially saw a huge drop in DPDK performance in the vms, native was fine.

There were changes required in the configuration of the vms, to do with huge pages and anonymous huge pages, and VM backing with huge pages

Not sure if this helps

Martin

Martin Curran-Gray
HW/FPGA/SW Engineer