* [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
@ 2018-08-08 20:10 Vivian Kong
From: Vivian Kong @ 2018-08-08 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi everyone,

Got a newbie question - I was able to build the source with `make install
DESTDIR=~/dpdk-install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc`.  How do I go about
running the tests?  I looked into the directory
"x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc" but I didn't see the "app/test" executable.
Am I missing something in my make command?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Vivian Kong
Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
IBM Canada Toronto Lab

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
@ 2018-08-09  8:48 ` Burakov, Anatoly
       [not found]   ` <OFCA81C194.0496E304-ON852582E4.004C3334-852582E4.004C5F6D@notes.na.collabserv.com>
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2018-08-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vivian Kong, dev

On 08-Aug-18 9:10 PM, Vivian Kong wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Got a newbie question - I was able to build the source with `make install
> DESTDIR=~/dpdk-install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc`.  How do I go about
> running the tests?  I looked into the directory
> "x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc" but I didn't see the "app/test" executable.
> Am I missing something in my make command?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vivian Kong
> Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
> IBM Canada Toronto Lab

Hi,

If you're using make build system, you need to run "make test-build" to
build the test application. Then, you'll be able to run the test
application.

With meson build system, the test application is built by default, and
will be located at <your build dir>/test/test/dpdk-test.

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
@ 2018-08-09 14:15   ` Vivian Kong
       [not found]   ` <OFCA81C194.0496E304-ON852582E4.004C3334-852582E4.004C5F6D@notes.na.collabserv.com>
From: Vivian Kong @ 2018-08-09 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: dev

Thanks Anatoly.  I can find the test application now.

Is there a set of tests I can run to verify the build?

Regards,

Vivian Kong
Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
IBM Canada Toronto Lab

"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com> wrote on 2018/08/09 04:48:21
AM:

> On 08-Aug-18 9:10 PM, Vivian Kong wrote:
> >

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Got a newbie question - I was able to build the source with `make
install
> > DESTDIR=~/dpdk-install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc`.  How do I go
about
> > running the tests?  I looked into the directory
> > "x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc" but I didn't see the "app/test"
executable.
> > Am I missing something in my make command?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Vivian Kong
> > Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
> > IBM Canada Toronto Lab
> >

> Hi,
>
> If you're using make build system, you need to run "make test-build" to
> build the test application. Then, you'll be able to run the test
> application.
>
> With meson build system, the test application is built by default, and
> will be located at <your build dir>/test/test/dpdk-test.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
       [not found]   ` <OFCA81C194.0496E304-ON852582E4.004C3334-852582E4.004C5F6D@notes.na.collabserv.com>
@ 2018-08-09 15:54     ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2018-08-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vivian Kong; +Cc: dev

On 09-Aug-18 2:54 PM, Vivian Kong wrote:
> Thanks Anatoly.
>
> Is there a set of tests I can run to verify the build?

Generally, most unit tests in the test app will do what you require.
Additionally, if you're using make build system, you can run "make test"
and it'll run an autotest script. Some tests may fail for various
reasons (additional setup requirements for KNI tests, multiprocess
issues affecting EAL flags and multiprocess autotests...), but generally
that command can be used to "verify the build".

That said, it is by no means an exhaustive test, because most of DPDK
functionality of interest will require setting up traffic forwarding -
unit tests do very limited testing of that for obvious reasons.

> Regards,
>
> Vivian Kong
> Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
> IBM Canada Toronto Lab
>
> Inactive hide details for "Burakov, Anatoly" ---2018/08/09 04:48:33
> AM---On 08-Aug-18 9:10 PM, Vivian Kong wrote: >"Burakov, Anatoly"

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
@ 2018-08-09 16:17       ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-08-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: Vivian Kong, dev

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 04:54:36PM +0100, Burakov, Anatoly wrote:
> On 09-Aug-18 2:54 PM, Vivian Kong wrote:
> > Thanks Anatoly.
> >
> > Is there a set of tests I can run to verify the build?
>
> Generally, most unit tests in the test app will do what you require.
> Additionally, if you're using make build system, you can run "make test" and
> it'll run an autotest script. Some tests may fail for various reasons
> (additional setup requirements for KNI tests, multiprocess issues affecting
> EAL flags and multiprocess autotests...), but generally that command can be
> used to "verify the build".
>
> That said, it is by no means an exhaustive test, because most of DPDK
> functionality of interest will require setting up traffic forwarding - unit
> tests do very limited testing of that for obvious reasons.

Just FYI:
As well as "make test", for meson builds you can also use "meson test", or
"meson test <testname>" to run just one specific test.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to run tests
@ 2018-08-09 16:42         ` Vivian Kong
From: Vivian Kong @ 2018-08-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Thanks all!

Regards,

Vivian Kong
Linux on z Systems Open Source Ecosystem
IBM Canada Toronto Lab

Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote on 2018/08/09 12:17:23
PM: