* Meson Versions for DPDK
@ 2022-08-29 12:59 Lincoln Lavoie
From: Lincoln Lavoie @ 2022-08-29 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi All,

The current version of meson is pinned to 0.49.2, which was released in
February 2019.  At least it's pinned to that version within
.ci/linux-setup.sh.

Current version of 0.63.1, and defaults "shipped" with operating systems
are newer than the 0.49.2 version and do break the DPDK compile.

It's not practical to always support the newest (i.e. removing any pinning
of the version), but it also shouldn't be something we pin to a single
version forever.  So, opening up a discussion about what strategy could be
used for maintaining the meson version that is "supported" for dpdk.  That
version would be used for all CI testing.

Cheers,
Lincoln
--
*Lincoln Lavoie*
Principal Engineer, Broadband Technologies

* Re: Meson Versions for DPDK
@ 2022-08-29 16:36 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-08-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Lavoie; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 08:59:04AM -0400, Lincoln Lavoie wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    The current version of meson is pinned to 0.49.2, which was released in
>    February 2019.  At least it's pinned to that version within
>    .ci/linux-setup.sh.
>    Current version of 0.63.1, and defaults "shipped" with operating
>    systems are newer than the 0.49.2 version and do break the DPDK
>    compile.
>    It's not practical to always support the newest (i.e. removing any
>    pinning of the version), but it also shouldn't be something we pin to a
>    single version forever.  So, opening up a discussion about what
>    strategy could be used for maintaining the meson version that is
>    "supported" for dpdk.  That version would be used for all CI testing.
>    Cheers,
>    Lincoln
>    --

To get the discussion started, I think we need to look at what the default
versions shipped with common distributions are. Thankfully, we are not
limited to those defaults, due to the ease of installing updated versions
using pip3, but it helps to serve as a baseline. I see Ubuntu 20.04 lists
0.53.2 as the baseline version there [1], for example. That may be a good
minimum to look at, though we perhaps want to update beyond that.

/Bruce

[1] https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/devel/meson

* Re: Meson Versions for DPDK
@ 2022-09-12 17:11   ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-09-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Lavoie; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 05:36:46PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 08:59:04AM -0400, Lincoln Lavoie wrote:
> >    Hi All,
> >    The current version of meson is pinned to 0.49.2, which was released in
> >    February 2019.  At least it's pinned to that version within
> >    .ci/linux-setup.sh.
> >    Current version of 0.63.1, and defaults "shipped" with operating
> >    systems are newer than the 0.49.2 version and do break the DPDK
> >    compile.
> >    It's not practical to always support the newest (i.e. removing any
> >    pinning of the version), but it also shouldn't be something we pin to a
> >    single version forever.  So, opening up a discussion about what
> >    strategy could be used for maintaining the meson version that is
> >    "supported" for dpdk.  That version would be used for all CI testing.
> >    Cheers,
> >    Lincoln
> >    --
>
> To get the discussion started, I think we need to look at what the default
> versions shipped with common distributions are. Thankfully, we are not
> limited to those defaults, due to the ease of installing updated versions
> using pip3, but it helps to serve as a baseline. I see Ubuntu 20.04 lists
> 0.53.2 as the baseline version there [1], for example. That may be a good
> minimum to look at, though we perhaps want to update beyond that.
>
> /Bruce
>
> [1] https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/devel/meson

In the absense of any objections or further discussion here, I've posted a
patch to bump meson minimum version to 0.53. Ref:
http://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20220912170747.3128065-2-bruce.richardson@intel.com/