* Any way to promote secondary process to primary process
@ 2022-10-08 14:48 Cheng Li
From: Cheng Li @ 2022-10-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello, I would like to kill the primary process and then promote the
seconary process to primary. After checking the apis in dpdk source
code, I think dpdk doesn't provide the promote interface. Any one knows
why we don't have this interface? No usage scenario? or it's impossible
to implement?

Bellow is my scenario:
I would like to upgrade my application(openvswitch). Because the
hugepage initialization and dev probe is expensive, the application down
time is very long(could be more than 10 seconds). So I would like to
launch the new application(upgrade version) as secondary process, while
keep the old application still running. New application shares memory
from old application, so it can use the hugepage and already probed
devices. Imediately old process is killed, new application starts
forward packets. After old process(primary process) is killed, we would
like to promote the new process from secondary to primary.

Thanks,
Cheng

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-10-08 14:48 UTC | newest]