patches for DPDK stable branches
* [dpdk-stable] filenames of DPDK stable packages
@ 2018-07-17 13:34 Richardson, Bruce
From: Richardson, Bruce @ 2018-07-17 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

Hi all,

looking to update the DPDK port in FreeBSD and was going to use the stable LTS trees rather than bleeding edge, but it proved more difficult than I would like because of filenames. The regular DPDK releases all use standard names, where "dpdk-x.y.tar.gz" unzips to a folder called "dpdk-x.y". However, for the stable releases like "dpdk-17.11.3.tar.gz", they unzip to a folder called "dpdk-stable-17.11.3" - i.e. the package name and unzipped names do not match. This is obviously something that can be worked around, but it's a bit of a pain.

Therefore a small ask - can we please provide a package for stable releases where the standard naming convention is used. I quite like having the "dpdk-stable" in the name, so perhaps as well as the regular tarball, could we also have a copy on the server called e.g. "dpdk-stable-17.11.3.tar.gz"?

Thanks,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-stable] filenames of DPDK stable packages
@ 2018-07-23 17:07 ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2018-07-23 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Bruce, stable; +Cc: thomas

On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 13:34 +0000, Richardson, Bruce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> looking to update the DPDK port in FreeBSD and was going to use the
> stable LTS trees rather than bleeding edge, but it proved more
> difficult than I would like because of filenames. The regular DPDK
> releases all use standard names, where "dpdk-x.y.tar.gz" unzips to a
> folder called "dpdk-x.y". However, for the stable releases like
> "dpdk-17.11.3.tar.gz", they unzip to a folder called "dpdk-stable-
> 17.11.3" - i.e. the package name and unzipped names do not match.
> This is obviously something that can be worked around, but it's a bit
> of a pain.
>
> Therefore a small ask - can we please provide a package for stable
> releases where the standard naming convention is used. I quite like
> having the "dpdk-stable" in the name, so perhaps as well as the
> regular tarball, could we also have a copy on the server called e.g.
> "dpdk-stable-17.11.3.tar.gz"?
>
> Thanks,
> /Bruce

Hi Bruce,

It would be perfectly fine to me to have an additional copy of the
tarball, however all we maintainers do is push a tag, then the cgit
server does all the magic. The directory name I guess it's based on the
git root directory name on the server.

Thomas, any idea how to do what Bruce is asking?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

* Re: [dpdk-stable] filenames of DPDK stable packages
@ 2018-07-24  9:12   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-07-24  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi, Richardson, Bruce; +Cc: stable

Hi,

23/07/2018 19:07, Luca Boccassi:
> On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 13:34 +0000, Richardson, Bruce wrote:
> > Therefore a small ask - can we please provide a package for stable
> > releases where the standard naming convention is used. I quite like
> > having the "dpdk-stable" in the name, so perhaps as well as the
> > regular tarball, could we also have a copy on the server called e.g.
> > "dpdk-stable-17.11.3.tar.gz"?

This is what the hook is doing:

    for ext in gz xz ; do
        echo "generating tarball dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext..."
        wget http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/snapshot/dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext
        mv -f dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext
    done
    echo "MD5 (to copy in HTML page)"
    md5sum /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.xz

> It would be perfectly fine to me to have an additional copy of the
> tarball, however all we maintainers do is push a tag, then the cgit
> server does all the magic. The directory name I guess it's based on the
> git root directory name on the server.
>
> Thomas, any idea how to do what Bruce is asking?

All is possible.

I am not in favor of having two copies with different names because it
would bring more questions.

When listing tarballs, it is easier to have the same prefix for all:
	http://fast.dpdk.org/rel/

We could rename the directory inside the tarball but we would have
a different checksum compared to the one in cgit:
	http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/refs/

Or we could change the prefix in cgit with repo.snapshot-prefix:
	https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n590
However I guess it would change every old tarballs.

Opinions?

* Re: [dpdk-stable] filenames of DPDK stable packages
@ 2018-07-27 17:15     ` Timothy Redaelli
From: Timothy Redaelli @ 2018-07-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: bruce.richardson, bluca, stable

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 11:12:56 +0200
thomas at monjalon.net (Thomas Monjalon) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 23/07/2018 19:07, Luca Boccassi:
> > On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 13:34 +0000, Richardson, Bruce wrote:
> > > Therefore a small ask - can we please provide a package for stable
> > > releases where the standard naming convention is used. I quite
> > > like having the "dpdk-stable" in the name, so perhaps as well as
> > > the regular tarball, could we also have a copy on the server
> > > called e.g. "dpdk-stable-17.11.3.tar.gz"?
>
> This is what the hook is doing:
>
>     for ext in gz xz ; do
>         echo "generating tarball dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext..."
>         wget
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/snapshot/dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext
> mv -f dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext done
>     echo "MD5 (to copy in HTML page)"
>     md5sum /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.xz
>
> > It would be perfectly fine to me to have an additional copy of the
> > tarball, however all we maintainers do is push a tag, then the cgit
> > server does all the magic. The directory name I guess it's based on
> > the git root directory name on the server.
> >
> > Thomas, any idea how to do what Bruce is asking?
>
> All is possible.
>
> I am not in favor of having two copies with different names because it
> would bring more questions.
>
> When listing tarballs, it is easier to have the same prefix for all:
> 	http://fast.dpdk.org/rel/
>
> We could rename the directory inside the tarball but we would have
> a different checksum compared to the one in cgit:
> 	http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/refs/
>
> Or we could change the prefix in cgit with repo.snapshot-prefix:
> 	https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n590
> However I guess it would change every old tarballs.
>
> Opinions?

Hi,
I suggest to have the filename "dpdk-17.11.3.tar.xz" (so without
changing it) that extracts in a directory called "dpdk-17.11.3/" (by
changing the "snapshot-prefix" configuration in cgitrc).

This will avoid copy & pastes when changing version from a stable to a
"master" release (that can lead to typos, for example in [1], or
hacks in order to support both the directory paths).

Thank you

[1]
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/5e925cc#diff-7f20b7d93319bb633bf2173988183d64R91