patches for DPDK stable branches
* 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-11-28 10:52 luca.boccassi
From: luca.boccassi @ 2022-11-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, Ali Alnubani, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh, Thomas Monjalon,
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hi all,

Here is a list of patches targeted for stable release 20.11.7.

The planned date for the final release is the 12th of December.

Please help with testing and validation of your use cases and report
any issues/results with reply-all to this mail. For the final release
the fixes and reported validations will be added to the release notes.

A release candidate tarball can be found at:

    https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/tag/?id=v20.11.7-rc1

These patches are located at branch 20.11 of dpdk-stable repo:
    https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/

Thanks.

Luca Boccassi

---
Abdullah Sevincer (1):
      event/dlb2: handle enqueuing more than maximum depth

Aleksandr Miloshenko (1):
      net/iavf: fix Tx done descriptors cleanup

Alex Kiselev (1):
      net/tap: fix overflow of network interface index

Alexander Chernavin (1):
      net/virtio: fix crash when configured twice

Alexander Kozyrev (1):
      net/mlx5: fix first segment inline length

Ali Alnubani (1):
      examples/l2fwd-crypto: fix typo in error message

Amit Prakash Shukla (5):
      net/mvneta: fix build with GCC 12
      test/ipsec: fix build with GCC 12
      ipsec: fix build with GCC 12
      crypto/qat: fix build with GCC 12
      net/qede/base: fix 32-bit build with GCC 12

Andrew Boyer (4):
      net/ionic: fix endianness for Rx and Tx
      net/ionic: fix endianness for RSS
      net/ionic: fix adapter name for logging
      net/ionic: fix reported error stats

Anoob Joseph (1):
      test/crypto: fix PDCP vectors

Bhagyada Modali (9):
      net/axgbe: fix scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: fix mbuf lengths in scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: fix length of each segment in scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: fix checksum and RSS in scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: optimise scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: remove freeing buffer in scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: reset end of packet in scattered Rx
      net/axgbe: clear buffer on scattered Rx chaining failure
      net/axgbe: save segment data in scattered Rx

Brian Dooley (1):
      crypto/qat: fix null hash algorithm digest size

Bruce Richardson (1):
      telemetry: fix escaping of invalid json characters

Changpeng Liu (1):
      vhost: add non-blocking API for posting interrupt

Chaoyong He (1):
      net/nfp: fix Rx descriptor DMA address

Chengwen Feng (7):
      net/hns3: fix next-to-use overflow in SVE Tx
      net/hns3: fix next-to-use overflow in simple Tx
      net/hns3: optimize SVE Tx performance
      net/hns3: fix crash when secondary process access FW
      net/hns3: fix header files includes
      net/hns3: revert fix mailbox communication with HW
      net/hns3: fix VF mailbox message handling

Ciara Power (1):
      test/crypto: fix wireless auth digest segment

Dariusz Sosnowski (1):
      net/mlx5: fix hairpin split with set VLAN VID action

David Marchand (19):
      vhost: fix virtqueue use after free on NUMA reallocation
      app/testpmd: restore ixgbe bypass commands
      net/bnxt: fix build with GCC 13
      trace: fix mode for new trace point
      trace: fix mode change
      trace: fix leak with regexp
      trace: fix dynamically enabling trace points
      trace: fix race in debug dump
      trace: fix metadata dump
      ci: bump versions of actions in GHA
      ci: update to new API for step outputs in GHA
      service: fix build with clang 15
      bus/dpaa: fix build with clang 15
      net/atlantic: fix build with clang 15
      app/testpmd: fix build with clang 15
      app/testpmd: fix build with clang 15 in flow code
      test/efd: fix build with clang 15
      test/member: fix build with clang 15
      test/event: fix build with clang 15

Dmitry Kozlyuk (1):
      eal: fix side effect in some pointer arithmetic macros

Dong Zhou (1):
      net/mlx5: fix thread workspace memory leak

Dongdong Liu (2):
      net/hns3: fix build with gcov
      doc: fix application name in procinfo guide

Erik Gabriel Carrillo (1):
      service: fix early move to inactive status

Fidaullah Noonari (1):
      malloc: fix storage size for some allocations

Gagandeep Singh (1):
      net/dpaa: fix buffer freeing in slow path

Ganapati Kundapura (1):
      eventdev/crypto: fix multi-process

Gregory Etelson (5):
      net/mlx5: fix RSS expansion buffer size
      app/testpmd: fix MAC header in checksum forward engine
      net/mlx5: fix port initialization with small LRO
      net/mlx5: fix maximum LRO message size
      doc: add LRO size limitation in mlx5 guide

Haiyue Wang (1):
      ring: fix description

Hamza Khan (1):
      examples/vm_power_manager: use safe list iterator

Harry van Haaren (2):
      service: fix stats race condition for MT safe service
      test/service: fix spurious failures by extending timeout

Hernan Vargas (9):
      baseband/acc100: fix memory leak
      baseband/acc100: add LDPC encoder padding function
      baseband/acc100: check turbo dec/enc input
      baseband/acc100: add null checks
      baseband/acc100: fix ring/queue allocation
      baseband/acc100: fix input length for CRC24B
      baseband/acc100: fix clearing PF IR outside handler
      baseband/acc100: fix device minimum alignment
      baseband/acc100: fix close cleanup

Huisong Li (17):
      net/hns3: delete unused markup
      net/hns3: fix RSS filter restore
      net/hns3: fix lock protection of RSS flow rule
      net/hns3: fix RSS flow rule restore
      net/hns3: move flow direction rule recovery
      net/hns3: fix restore filter function input
      net/hns3: fix packet type for GENEVE
      net/hns3: fix IPv4 and IPv6 RSS
      net/hns3: fix typos in IPv6 SCTP fields
      net/hns3: fix IPv4 RSS
      net/hns3: add L3 and L4 RSS types
      net/hns3: extract functions to create RSS and FDIR flow rule
      net/hns3: fix RSS rule restore
      net/hns3: fix clearing hardware MAC statistics
      net/bonding: fix slave device Rx/Tx offload configuration
      net/bonding: fix dropping valid MAC packets
      net/bonding: fix mbuf fast free handling

Huzaifa Rahman (1):
      net/memif: fix crash with different number of Rx/Tx queues

Ivan Malov (4):
      common/sfc_efx/base: fix maximum Tx data count
      net/bonding: fix descriptor limit reporting
      net/bonding: fix flow flush order on close
      net/bonding: set initial value of descriptor count alignment

James Hershaw (1):
      net/nfp: improve HW info header log readability

Jeremy Spewock (1):
      test/ipsec: skip if no compatible device

Jerin Jacob (2):
      eal: fix doxygen comments for UUID
      power: fix some doxygen comments

Jiawei Wang (2):
      net/mlx5: fix modify action with tunnel decapsulation
      net/mlx5: fix tunnel header with IPIP offload

Jiawen Wu (2):
      net/txgbe: remove semaphore between SW/FW
      net/txgbe: rename some extended statistics

Jie Hai (1):
      net/hns3: fix minimum Tx frame length

Jie Wang (1):
      net/i40e: fix jumbo frame Rx with X722

Jun Qiu (3):
      gro: trim tail padding bytes
      net/bonding: fix Tx hash for TCP
      hash: fix RCU configuration memory leak

Kai Ji (1):
      test/crypto: fix bitwise operator in a SNOW3G case

Kalesh AP (2):
      net/bnxt: remove unnecessary check
      net/bnxt: fix representor info freeing

Ke Zhang (1):
      net/i40e: fix VF representor release

Kevin Liu (2):
      net/iavf: check illegal packet sizes
      net/ice: check illegal packet sizes

Kumara Parameshwaran (2):
      gro: fix chain index for more than 2 packets
      gro: check payload length after trim

Long Li (2):
      net/mlx4: fix Verbs FD leak in secondary process
      net/mlx5: fix Verbs FD leak in secondary process

Long Wu (1):
      net/nfp: fix memory leak in Rx

Luca Boccassi (2):
      Revert "build: fix warnings when running external commands"
      drivers: fix typos found by Lintian

Mah Yock Gen (1):
      net/igc: remove unnecessary PHY ID checks

Mao YingMing (1):
      net/bnxt: fix null pointer dereference in LED config

Mattias Rönnblom (3):
      net: accept unaligned data in checksum routines
      event/dsw: fix flow migration
      doc: fix event timer adapter guide

Megha Ajmera (2):
      sched: fix subport profile configuration
      examples/qos_sched: fix number of subport profiles

Michael Baum (5):
      net/mlx5: fix race condition in counter pool resizing
      net/mlx5: fix port event cleaning order
      net/mlx5: fix port closing
      doc: fix underlines in testpmd guide
      doc: fix colons in testpmd aged flow rules

Min Hu (Connor) (1):
      net/hns3: fix code check warnings

Mingjin Ye (2):
      net/ice: fix scalar Rx path segment
      net/ice: fix scalar Tx path segment

Morten Brørup (2):
      eal/x86: add 256 bytes copy for AVX2
      mempool: fix get objects from mempool with cache

Naga Harish K S V (4):
      eventdev/eth_tx: add spinlock for adapter start/stop
      eventdev/eth_tx: fix adapter stop
      timer: fix stopping all timers
      eventdev/eth_tx: fix queue delete

Nicolas Chautru (1):
      baseband/acc100: fix input error related to padding

Nithin Dabilpuram (1):
      examples/ipsec-secgw: use Tx checksum offload conditionally

Olivier Matz (9):
      cryptodev: fix unduly newlines in logs
      mem: fix API doc about allocation on secondary processes
      event/sw: fix flow ID init in self test
      event/sw: fix log in self test
      net/virtio: remove declaration of undefined function
      net/ixgbe: fix broadcast Rx on VF after promisc removal
      net/ixgbe: fix unexpected VLAN Rx in promisc mode on VF
      net/ixgbevf: fix promiscuous and allmulti
      devtools: fix checkpatch header retrieval from stdin

Pablo de Lara (1):
      examples/fips_validation: fix typo in error log

Qi Zhang (4):
      net/ice/base: fix media type of PHY 10G SFI C2C
      net/ice/base: fix array overflow in add switch recipe
      net/ice/base: fix add MAC rule
      net/ice/base: ignore promiscuous already exist

Radu Nicolau (2):
      net/iavf: fix queue stop for large VF
      examples/ipsec-secgw: fix Tx checksum offload flag

Raja Zidane (1):
      net/mlx5: fix Tx check for hardware descriptor length

Rohit Raj (1):
      net/dpaa: fix jumbo packet Rx in case of VSP

Shiqi Liu (1):
      node: check Rx element allocation

Shun Hao (2):
      net/mlx5: fix meter profile delete after disable
      net/mlx5: fix drop action validation

Stephen Coleman (1):
      doc: fix typo depreciated instead of deprecated

Stephen Hemminger (8):
      event/sw: fix device name in dump
      eal: fix data race in multi-process support
      pdump: do not allow enable/disable in primary process
      license: fix paths
      app/testpmd: make quit flag volatile
      doc: fix net drivers ordering
      ring: remove leftover comment about watermark
      doc: avoid meson deprecation in setup

Steve Yang (2):
      net/iavf: fix pattern check for flow director parser
      net/iavf: fix tainted scalar

Steven Zou (1):
      common/iavf: avoid copy in async mode

Sunyang Wu (1):
      test/crypto: fix debug messages

Taekyung Kim (1):
      vdpa/ifc: handle data path update failure

Tomasz Jonak (1):
      net/ice: fix null function pointer call

Usman Tanveer (1):
      net/bonding: fix mode 4 with dedicated queues

Viacheslav Ovsiienko (3):
      net/mlx5: fix check for orphan wait descriptor
      net/mlx5: fix single not inline packet storing
      net/mlx5: fix inline length exceeding descriptor limit

Vladimir Medvedkin (2):
      test/hash: remove dead code in extendable bucket test
      test/hash: fix bulk lookup check

Volodymyr Fialko (1):
      eventdev: fix name of Rx conf type in documentation

Wenwu Ma (1):
      examples/vhost: fix use after free

Yi Li (1):
      doc: fix maximum packet size of virtio driver

Yiding Zhou (2):
      net/iavf: add thread for event callbacks
      net/ice/base: fix duplicate flow rules

Yunjian Wang (2):
      net/bonding: fix array overflow in Rx burst
      net/bonding: fix double slave link status query

Zhichao Zeng (2):
      net/ice: fix RSS hash update
      net/iavf: fix outer checksum flags

Zhirun Yan (1):
      graph: fix node objects allocation

* RE: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-11-28 11:35 ` Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2022-11-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, Ali Alnubani, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh, Thomas Monjalon,
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen, andrew.rybchenko

+CC Andrew Rybchenko as co-signer on the mempool patch in mainline.

The link with pre-selected branch seems to be:
https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/?h=20.11

[...]

> Morten Brørup (2):
>       eal/x86: add 256 bytes copy for AVX2

LGTM.

>       mempool: fix get objects from mempool with cache

Reviewed stable release patch [1], comparing it to the accepted mainline patch [2].

[1]: https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/commit/?h=20.11&id=26cb4c81b552594292f7c744afb904f01700dfe8
[2]: https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20221007104450.2567961-1-andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru/

This is not correct:
+		__MEMPOOL_STAT_ADD(mp, get_success_bulk, 1);
+		__MEMPOOL_STAT_ADD(mp, get_success_objs, n);

The old macro did more, so it should be:
+		__MEMPOOL_STAT_ADD(mp, get_success, n);

This is only visible if built with RTE_LIBRTE_MEMPOOL_DEBUG.

Besides that, it looks perfectly good to me.

PS: The upstream commit hash links in the stable release patches (e.g. in [1]) don't seem to work. They lead to a page saying "Bad commit reference". I don't know if this is expected behavior or not.

* Re: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-11-28 11:55   ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2022-11-28 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: stable, dev, andrew.rybchenko

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 at 11:35, Morten Brørup <mb@smartsharesystems.com> wrote:

> +CC Andrew Rybchenko as co-signer on the mempool patch in mainline.

Can you test a patch and send it?

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

* RE: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-11-28 12:07     ` Morten Brørup
> > +CC Andrew Rybchenko as co-signer on the mempool patch in mainline.

Extremely busy these days... Not sure I can make it within the deadline.

Alternatively, consider omitting the patch. It only fixes some performance issues for certain use cases.

-Morten

* RE: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-12-11 16:15 ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2022-12-11 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker, David Christensen,
	Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob, John McNamara,
	Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi, Pei Zhang,
	qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hello,

We ran the following functional tests with Nvidia hardware on v20.11.7-rc1:
- Basic functionality:
  Send and receive multiple types of traffic.
- testpmd xstats counter test.
- testpmd timestamp test.
- Changing/checking link status through testpmd.
- RTE flow tests:
  Items:
  - eth
  - geneve
  - gre
  - gre_key
  - gtp
  - icmp
  - icmp6
  - ipv4
  - ipv6
  - ipv6_frag_ext
  - mark
  - meta
  - mpls
  - nvgre
  - tag
  - tcp
  - udp
  - vlan
  - vxlan
  - vxlan_gpe
  Actions:
  - age
  - count
  - dec_tcp_ack
  - dec_tcp_seq
  - dec_ttl
  - drop
  - flag
  - inc_tcp_ack
  - inc_tcp_seq
  - jump
  - mark
  - queue
  - raw_decap
  - raw_encap
  - rss
  - set_ipv4_dscp
  - set_ipv4_dst
  - set_ipv4_src
  - set_ipv6_dscp
  - set_ipv6_dst
  - set_ipv6_src
  - set_mac_dst
  - set_mac_src
  - set_meta
  - set_tag
  - set_tp_dst
  - set_tp_src
  - set_ttl
  - vxlan_decap
  - vxlan_encap

- Some RSS tests.
- VLAN filtering, stripping and insertion tests.
- Checksum and TSO tests.
- ptype tests.
- link_status_interrupt example application tests.
- l3fwd-power example application tests.
- Multi-process example applications tests.
- Hardware LRO tests.

Functional tests ran on:
- NIC: ConnectX-4 Lx / OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Driver: MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.0.1.1 / Firmware: 14.32.1010
- NIC: ConnectX-5 / OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Driver: MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.0.1.1 / Firmware: 16.35.1012
- NIC: ConnectX-6 Dx / OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Driver: MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.0.1.1 / Firmware: 22.35.1012
- DPU: BlueField-2 / DOCA SW version: 1.5.0 / Firmware: 24.35.1012

Additionally, we ran compilation tests with multiple configurations in the following OS/driver combinations:
- Ubuntu 22.04.1 with MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.1.2.1.
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.1.2.1.
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with rdma-core master (76cfaa1).
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with rdma-core v28.0.
- Ubuntu 18.04.6 with rdma-core v17.1.
- Ubuntu 18.04.6 with rdma-core master (76cfaa1) (i386).
- Ubuntu 16.04.7 with rdma-core v22.7.
- Fedora 37 with rdma-core v41.0.
- Fedora 38 (Rawhide) with rdma-core v41.0.
- CentOS 7 7.9.2009 with rdma-core master (76cfaa1).
- CentOS 7 7.9.2009 with MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.8-1.0.1.1.
- CentOS 8 8.4.2105 with rdma-core master (76cfaa1).
- OpenSUSE Leap 15.4 with rdma-core v38.1.
- Windows Server 2019 with Clang 11.0.0.

The builds are passing except for debug builds on Fedora with gcc 12:
lib/librte_ring/rte_ring_elem.h:194:25: error: 'memcpy' reading 32 bytes from a region of size 4 [-Werror=stringop-overread]

Please note that not all the functional tests mentioned above fall under "Basic functionality with testpmd" like reported in the release notes for previous releases:
https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/commit/?h=v20.11.6&id=73655c6414914c99a33010e9e7bdae9cafd24404
Some of them test other example apps.

We don't see new issues caused by the changes in this release.

Thanks,
Ali

* Re: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2022-12-12 20:00   ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2022-12-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani
  Cc: stable, dev, Raslan Darawsheh, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 at 16:15, Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

* RE: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-11  7:22       ` Morten Brørup
> > > +CC Andrew Rybchenko as co-signer on the mempool patch in mainline.

Now the omitted patch shows up as [Bug 1212], so I will try to provide a v2 patch, continuing the work you already put into the v1 patch.

[Bug 1212]: https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1212

However, I'm not good at git, so could you please provide a step-by-step guide for contributing such a patch to the 20.11 stable branch?

1. git clone git://dpdk.org/(FIXME: Which URL?)
2. (Edit and test the code.)
3. git add lib/mempool/rte_mempool.h
4. git commit (FIXME: Which additional parameters here?) -m "mempool: fix get objects from mempool with cache" -m "Edit description in editor." --signoff --edit (FIXME: And which special lines to add in the patch description?)
5. git format-patch -1 -v 2 (FIXME: Which additional parameters here?)
6. git send-email (FIXME: Which additional parameters here?) -to stable@dpdk.org v2-000*.patch

* Re: 20.11.7 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-11  9:58         ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2023-04-11  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Use the 20.11 branch from the https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/
repository. You can find instructions on how to send patches here:
http://core.dpdk.org/contribute/