* [dpdk-users] How to free a rte_mempool buffer
@ 2019-03-21  8:48 宋捷
From: 宋捷 @ 2019-03-21  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, 'Van Haaren, Harry'

Hi All,

I test my DPDK program in VM Ubuntu (in VMware) with the two virtual
NICs(VMXNET3 and e1000).

I create a rte_mempool buffer by rte_pktmbuf_pool_create, and load some
packets from a pcap file into this buffer. I can sending these packets by
rte_eth_tx_burst successfully.

Now I want to load another pcap file, then I free the previous rte_mempool
buffer by rte_mempool_free, and create a new rte_mempool buffer,

But a crash will be occurred at rte_eth_tx_burst Both in VMXNET3 and e1000.

I traced the code and found the crash point as below:

The VMXNET3 driver: crash at:

vmxnet3_xmit_pkts->vmxnet3_tq_tx_complete->vmxnet3_unmap_pkt->rte_pktmbuf_fr
ee(mbuf);  (mbuf = txq->cmd_ring.buf_info[eop_idx].m;)

The e1000 driver: crash at:

eth_em_xmit_pkts->rte_pktmbuf_free_seg(txe->mbuf);

I think rte_mempool_free side effects the driver’s TX ring, but don’t know
how to fix this issue?

How can we free a rte_mempool buffer safely?

Thanks

Jie