* Initialize SoftNIC to work with rte_flow rules
@ 2023-09-22  8:35 Lukáš Šišmiš
From: Lukáš Šišmiš @ 2023-09-22  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: cristian.dumitrescu

Hi all,

I am trying to setup completely virtual development environment where it
would be possible to develop applications with rte_flow rules.

For this, I've found SoftNIC as a viable solution as this is supposed to
be a software NIC that also supports rte_flow rules.

However, I am having a hard time to set it up, I couldn't find good
examples/documentation for this. Examples/docs found in
ip_pipeline/pipeline examples are outdated.

I was able to make it run through testpmd but without the support for
rte_flow.

Could you please help me to create spec/cli file that would support this
use case?

I am currently primarily interested in RX direction although being able
to work in the TX direction would be greatly appreciated.

The solution I am currently thinking of:

net_pcap0 -> net_softnic0 -> DPDK application + TX( -> net_softnic0 ->
net_ring/net_null)

The RX path can be done - and I was able to run it in testpmd but then
testpmd complained when I tried to apply rte_flow rules (not
implemented). Makes sense considering that the softnic default pipeline
doesn't contain any tables I guess.

Thank you all in advance.

I'm CC'ing Cristian as he is the SoftNIC maintainer.

Cheers,

Lukas Sismis

* RE: Initialize SoftNIC to work with rte_flow rules
@ 2023-09-29  9:55 ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2023-09-29  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukáš Šišmiš, users

Hi Lukas,

The Soft NIC driver does not currently have RTE_FLOW support.

For now, you have to use the DPDK pipeline-specific API for populating the
pipeline tables:

1. You can put these commands in the firmware.cli file to be run at
Initialization.

2. You can use the run-time CLI (the best option) by doing "telnet 0.0.0.0 8086"
after the device initialization is complete. In case you're using test-pmd, beware
of the change required, as stated in the default "drivers/net/softnic/firmware.cli"
file.

3. You can call the C API directly in your app.

Regards,
Cristian

* Re: Initialize SoftNIC to work with rte_flow rules
@ 2023-09-29 11:21   ` Lukáš Šišmiš
From: Lukáš Šišmiš @ 2023-09-29 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, users

Hi Cristian,

OK, thank you for the reply.

Are you/anyone aware of a virtual driver that implements at least some
level of rte_flow support?

Thanks in advance.

Lukas