* [dpdk-users] Requiring rte_eth_allmulticast_enable in 18.02.1
@ 2018-05-03  9:59 Richard Nutman
From: Richard Nutman @ 2018-05-03  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,

I managed to get 18.02.1 building and working for Mellanox MLX5 PMD.

I am using the Flow Director still, and previously with Mellanox 16.11_4.0 I had no problem receiving multicast packets.
With 18.02.1 I am forced to use rte_eth_allmulticast_enable to see multicast packets on the receive side.

Question: Is this expected, or should I be just adding the MAC address of the flow into the whitelist ?

I assume the old Flow Director code was doing this before, but somehow it looks like it's stopped doing this, perhaps in being switched over to use the new rte_flow underneath ?

Is rte_eth_allmulticast_enable, or adding the MAC addresses to whitelist required, or expected to be used with the new rte_flow ?

Thanks,
Richard.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Requiring rte_eth_allmulticast_enable in 18.02.1
@ 2018-05-03 13:23 ` Nélio Laranjeiro
From: Nélio Laranjeiro @ 2018-05-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Nutman; +Cc: users, Adrien Mazarguil, Yongseok Koh, Shahaf Shuler

Hi Richard,

On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 09:59:00AM +0000, Richard Nutman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I managed to get 18.02.1 building and working for Mellanox MLX5 PMD.
>
> I am using the Flow Director still, and previously with Mellanox
> 16.11_4.0 I had no problem receiving multicast packets.

Not really easy to understand what you are talking about as this DPDK
you mention is a not released by DPDK community.  How can we know what
is present in this code?

> With 18.02.1 I am forced to use rte_eth_allmulticast_enable to see
> multicast packets on the receive side.
>
> Question: Is this expected, or should I be just adding the MAC address
> of the flow into the whitelist ?
>
> I assume the old Flow Director code was doing this before, but somehow
> it looks like it's stopped doing this, perhaps in being switched over
> to use the new rte_flow underneath ?
>
> Is rte_eth_allmulticast_enable, or adding the MAC addresses to
> whitelist required, or expected to be used with the new rte_flow ?

The old FDIR was converted to Verbs flows, new implementation of FDIR is
converted to rte_flow flow and then converted to Verb flows.

You should have the same behavior, unless there is something done by the
Mellanox DPDK bundle you were using until now.

Can you test with an official DPDK 16.11 [1] ?

Regards,

[1] https://fast.dpdk.org/rel/dpdk-16.04.tar.xz

--
Nélio Laranjeiro