* [dpdk-users] KNI jumbo support
@ 2018-12-20 15:27 Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2018-12-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: Liron Himi

Hi,

I'm using DPDK18.11, and I launch a KNI flow.
We need to pass jumbo frames via KNI interface but when we try to change its MTU (using ifconfig) above 1500 we get an error.

is it possible?
I noticed that the 'rte_kni' support some network callbacks (e.g. changing MTU) but the rte_eth_kni doesn't define them.
Is it possible to define them from outside? i.e. part of application code.

Thanks,
Liron

* [dpdk-users] How to show debug log in DPDK and DPDK application
@ 2018-12-21  0:48 ` Hideyuki Yamashita
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2018-12-21  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello

I am a developer for DPDK application(SPP).
And I have a very basic question how to debug by
increasing log level.

Q1.Are thre any documents those describe the following?
- how to output debug log of DPDK
- how to output debut log of DPDK application

As I did quick search on Google, no official documents found.
If above is yes.
Please let me know how to achieve those.

Thanks in advance for your guidance to newbie!

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to show debug log in DPDK and DPDK application
@ 2018-12-21  3:10   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-12-21  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hideyuki Yamashita; +Cc: users

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:48:04 +0900
Hideyuki Yamashita <yamashita.hideyuki@po.ntt-tx.co.jp> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am a developer for DPDK application(SPP).
> And I have a very basic question how to debug by
> increasing log level.
>
> Q1.Are thre any documents those describe the following?
> - how to output debug log of DPDK
> - how to output debut log of DPDK application
>
> As I did quick search on Google, no official documents found.
> If above is yes.
> Please let me know how to achieve those.
>
> Thanks in advance for your guidance to newbie!
>
> BR,
> Hideyuki Yamashita
> NTT TechnoCross

logging in current DPDK is controlled per subsystem.

See: rte_log_set_level_pattern and rte_set_level

This can be set on command line or with API.

The default log output on DPDK is to stdout of the application.
This is not useful for a long running service like a daemon,
but the log can be captured by either opening a file and using:
 rte_openlog_stream

Or also by using glibc stdio function open_memstream to make a memory stream
and pass that. This requires a bit more setup.

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to show debug log in DPDK and DPDK application
@ 2018-12-21  6:42     ` Hideyuki Yamashita
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2018-12-21  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:48:04 +0900
> Hideyuki Yamashita <yamashita.hideyuki@po.ntt-tx.co.jp> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am a developer for DPDK application(SPP).
> > And I have a very basic question how to debug by
> > increasing log level.
> >
> > Q1.Are thre any documents those describe the following?
> > - how to output debug log of DPDK
> > - how to output debut log of DPDK application
> >
> > As I did quick search on Google, no official documents found.
> > If above is yes.
> > Please let me know how to achieve those.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your guidance to newbie!
> >
> > BR,
> > Hideyuki Yamashita
> > NTT TechnoCross
> >

> logging in current DPDK is controlled per subsystem.
>
> See: rte_log_set_level_pattern and rte_set_level
>
> This can be set on command line or with API.
>
> The default log output on DPDK is to stdout of the application.
> This is not useful for a long running service like a daemon,
> but the log can be captured by either opening a file and using:
>  rte_openlog_stream
>
> Or also by using glibc stdio function open_memstream to make a memory stream
> and pass that. This requires a bit more setup.
Hello Stephen,

Thaks for your guidance.
I will read those.

But at a glance, it looks like those are in API documents and
I wondered if those are well documented in somewhere
in developers guide so that developers like me can
easily find the path.

What do you think?

Thanks!

BR,
Hideyuki
NTT TechnoCross

* Re: [dpdk-users] KNI jumbo support
@ 2019-01-02 10:27 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2019-01-02 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi, users

On 12/20/2018 3:27 PM, Liron Himi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using DPDK18.11, and I launch a KNI flow.
> We need to pass jumbo frames via KNI interface but when we try to change its MTU (using ifconfig) above 1500 we get an error.
>
> is it possible?
> I noticed that the 'rte_kni' support some network callbacks (e.g. changing MTU) but the rte_eth_kni doesn't define them.
> Is it possible to define them from outside? i.e. part of application code.

Hi Liron,

KNI PMD is not using callbacks right now, you can have them if you use kni
library directly, as kni sample application does.

And as far as I remember someone pointed in the list previously that in kernel
side, for Rx mbuf segmentation is implemented but for Tx it is not. So if kni
interface tries to send a packet which is greater than mbuf size, it will be
dropped, you may need to implement that part as well.

Regards,
ferruh