* [dpdk-users] Can dpdk-pdump capture high speed traffic?
@ 2020-06-30  7:33 Licj
From: Licj @ 2020-06-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: USERS

I have two machines directly connected with Mellanox 56g nice.

I am running pktgen-dpdk on one machine, and testpmd&dpdk-pdump on the other machine. One is for packet sending and the other is for recving.

The pktgen and testpmd both show 50Gbps traffic. But the pcap file only show several hundreds Mbps.

Can the dpdk-pdump capture high speed traffic? How to do that?

Thank you.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Can dpdk-pdump capture high speed traffic?
@ 2020-06-30 15:04 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-06-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Licj; +Cc: USERS

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:33:53 +0800
"Licj" <272465698@qq.com> wrote:

> I have two machines directly connected with Mellanox 56g nice.
>
> I am running pktgen-dpdk on one machine, and testpmd&amp;dpdk-pdump on the other machine. One is for packet sending and the other is for recving.
>

> The pktgen and testpmd both show 50Gbps traffic. But the pcap file only show several hundreds Mbps.

The current packet capture has multiple context switches and packet copies.
Also, it is limited by the speed of filesystem writes.