* illegal instruction (core dumped) problem
@ 2023-04-07  8:02 Anthony Kanaan
From: Anthony Kanaan @ 2023-04-07  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I am having this problem when launching any DPDK application (including
helloworld):
illegal instruction (core dumped). I have tried to install several version
of DPDK: V22.11 V22.03 and 23.03 and non of them are working. I have
configure meson to build as a generic and native platform and non of them
are working.
You can find in the below the specs of the CPU:
Note that both the building PC and the target are the same PC.

Architecture:                    x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:                      Little Endian
Address sizes:                   36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):                          2
On-line CPU(s) list:             0,1
Thread(s) per core:              1
Core(s) per socket:              2
Socket(s):                       1
NUMA node(s):                    1
Vendor ID:                       GenuineIntel
CPU family:                      6
Model:                           23
Model name:                      Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @
3.00GHz
Stepping:                        10
CPU MHz:                         2911.124
BogoMIPS:                        5984.82
L1d cache:                       64 KiB
L1i cache:                       64 KiB
L2 cache:                        6 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s):               0,1
Vulnerability Itlb multihit:     KVM: Mitigation: VMX unsupported
Vulnerability L1tf:              Mitigation; PTE Inversion
Vulnerability Mds:               Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted,
no microcode; SMT disabled
Vulnerability Meltdown:          Mitigation; PTI
Vulnerability Mmio stale data:   Unknown: No mitigations
Vulnerability Retbleed:          Not affected
Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Spectre v1:        Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and
__user pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2:        Mitigation; Retpolines, STIBP disabled,
RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
Vulnerability Srbds:             Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort:   Not affected
Flags:                           fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm
pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_
                                 good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm pti
dtherm

Thank you.

* Re: illegal instruction (core dumped) problem
@ 2023-04-12  8:49 ` Dmitry Kozlyuk
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk @ 2023-04-12  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Kanaan; +Cc: users

Hi Anthony,

[...]
> Model name:                      Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @
> 3.00GHz
[...]
> Flags:                           fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
> sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm
> pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_
>                                  good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64
> monitor ds_cpl smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm pti
> dtherm

DPDK requires at least SSE 4.2 (Nehalem),
your CPU only has SSE 4.1 (Wolfdale).