* Reg Packet Type Issue in Intel X710 NIC
@ 2023-10-16 17:17 Harrish SJ
From: Harrish SJ @ 2023-10-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi Team,

We are observing below issues w.r.t Packet types in Intel X710 NIC

NIC Details: (from dpdk-devbind -s)
Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
0000:81:00.1 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' drv=igb_uio unused=i40e,vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
0000:82:00.1 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' drv=igb_uio unused=i40e,vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic

Packet type is not set as L2_ETHER_VLAN and only set as L2_ETHER when the packet is received as VLAN tagged.
IP Packet type is set as L3_IPV4_EXT_UNKNOWN for IP/IP+UDP packets - Is this expected.?
Packet type is set as UNKNOWN for GTP packets even after configuring DDP profile for the ports used.

testpmd> ddp get list 0
Profile number is: 1

Profile 0:
Track id:     0x80000008
Version:      1.0.4.0
Profile name: GTPv1-C/U IPv4/IPv6 payload

Could you please help us in resolving/providing your inputs on the above issues observed.?
Thanks in advance,

Regards and Thanks,
Harrish.S.J

* Re: Reg Packet Type Issue in Intel X710 NIC
@ 2023-10-16 17:23 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-10-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrish SJ; +Cc: users

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:47:18 +0530
Harrish SJ <harrish@aviznetworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We are observing below issues w.r.t Packet types in Intel X710 NIC
>
> NIC Details: (from dpdk-devbind -s)
> Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
> 0000:81:00.1 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' drv=igb_uio unused=i40e,vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
> 0000:82:00.1 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' drv=igb_uio unused=i40e,vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
>
> Packet type is not set as L2_ETHER_VLAN and only set as L2_ETHER when the packet is received as VLAN tagged.
> IP Packet type is set as L3_IPV4_EXT_UNKNOWN for IP/IP+UDP packets - Is this expected.?
> Packet type is set as UNKNOWN for GTP packets even after configuring DDP profile for the ports used.
>
> testpmd> ddp get list 0
> Profile number is: 1
>
> Profile 0:
> Track id:     0x80000008
> Version:      1.0.4.0
> Profile name: GTPv1-C/U IPv4/IPv6 payload
>
> Could you please help us in resolving/providing your inputs on the above issues observed.?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards and Thanks,
> Harrish.S.J

Since in most cases VLAN is offloaded in mbuf and RTE_MBUF_F_RX_VLAN_STRIPPED is set
in offload flags.  If VLAN is stripped it makes sense that the packet type could just
be L2_ETHER but it looks like it maybe driver dependent which is not good.

* Re: Reg Packet Type Issue in Intel X710 NIC
@ 2023-10-16 17:25   ` Harrish SJ
From: Harrish SJ @ 2023-10-16 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Thanks much Stephen for your inputs. Let me check the flags and get back.
Any inputs on GTP Packet type as UNKNOWN would be much helpful.
Thanks in advance,

Regards and Thanks,
Harrish.S.J

@ 2023-10-16 17:30     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-10-16 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrish SJ; +Cc: users

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:55:39 +0530
Harrish SJ <harrish@aviznetworks.com> wrote:

> Thanks much Stephen for your inputs. Let me check the flags and get back.
> Any inputs on GTP Packet type as UNKNOWN would be much helpful.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards and Thanks,
> Harrish.S.J

Packet type recognition in either done in software (slow) or hardware.
The hardware recognition is limited by what that NIC is able to recognize.
I suspect most NIC's just look at ether type and maybe IP proto fields
while processing packet.

In any case packet type is not very reliable across NIC vendors.
If you really want to identify packets either do it in SW or use
rte_flow if NIC supports it.