* [dpdk-users] How to identify a network port which is bound to DPDK
@ 2017-08-22 23:25 Stuart Xu
From: Stuart Xu @ 2017-08-22 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi, I understand that the DPDK uses port_id to identify an Ethernet port.  Is there a shell command to show a port’s status, such as link status and port ID etc.  For non-DPDK bound port I can use tools like “ifconfig”.  Does DPDK provide an “ifconfig” equivalent tool to check a port status?

Thanks,

--Stuart

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to identify a network port which is bound to DPDK
@ 2017-08-23 16:53 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-08-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Xu; +Cc: users

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 23:25:35 +0000
Stuart Xu <Stuart_Xu@symantec.com> wrote:

> Hi, I understand that the DPDK uses port_id to identify an Ethernet port.  Is there a shell command to show a port’s status, such as link status and port ID etc.  For non-DPDK bound port I can use tools like “ifconfig”.  Does DPDK provide an “ifconfig” equivalent tool to check a port status?

DPDK network interfaces are not visible or controlled by kernel.
There are some ways to expose them i.e through KNI and some other proposed code.

* Re: [dpdk-users] [EXT] Re: How to identify a network port which is bound to DPDK
@ 2017-08-23 19:35   ` Stuart Xu
From: Stuart Xu @ 2017-08-23 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Stephen,

Thanks for the response.  Could you point to me which example code I need to look?

Regards,

--Stuart

@ 2017-08-23 20:29     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-08-23 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Xu; +Cc: users

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 19:35:22 +0000
Stuart Xu <Stuart_Xu@symantec.com> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the response.  Could you point to me which example code I need to look?
>
> Regards,
>
> --Stuart
>

> On 8/23/17, 10:53 AM, "Stephen Hemminger" <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 23:25:35 +0000
>     Stuart Xu <Stuart_Xu@symantec.com> wrote:
>
>     > Hi, I understand that the DPDK uses port_id to identify an Ethernet port.  Is there a shell command to show a port’s status, such as link status and port ID etc.  For non-DPDK bound port I can use tools like “ifconfig”.  Does DPDK provide an “ifconfig” equivalent tool to check a port status?
>     >

>     DPDK network interfaces are not visible or controlled by kernel.
>     There are some ways to expose them i.e through KNI and some other proposed code.

Read about KNI. but if all you want is port status, then it would be overkill.

* Re: [dpdk-users] [EXT] Re: How to identify a network port which is bound to DPDK
@ 2017-08-24 16:22       ` Stuart Xu
From: Stuart Xu @ 2017-08-24 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Thanks a lot,