* [dpdk-users] Need help with dpdk ip pipelining
@ 2016-04-04 22:33 Talukdar, Biju
From: Talukdar, Biju @ 2016-04-04 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: Talukdar, Biju

Hi all,

I have two questions. Could someone in the community please help. I really look forward to some guidance in these direction.

    First,I have a application which implements a measurement sketch. I want to accelerate it with using dpdk ip pipelining application. But as I read through the guide in dpdk.org, I realized that it has hard pipelines for say  Rx-> flow classification - > ip routing -> traffic manager -> Tx. Could anyone please explain me how could I integrate my application in one of the pipeline. Is it even possible. Please help.

    Second, I want to use a dpdk application which can schedule packets to different VMs depending upon the src ip (or some logic, which is programmable).Is there any dpdk application available which I can use and modify in some way to use for the purpose. I have used OVS-DPDK for this purpose before. But here I  am looking for a lightweight dpdk application. Another condition need to be made is once I schedule  and direct a packet to a VM, it should be steered through usersapce only. Any pointers in this direction will be very helpful.

keep hacking

Biju

* Re: [dpdk-users] Need help with dpdk ip pipelining
@ 2016-04-05  9:04 ` Singh, Jasvinder
From: Singh, Jasvinder @ 2016-04-05  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talukdar, Biju, users

HI Biju,

What do you mean by hard pipelines?  IP Pipeline application consists of reusable modules (pipeline blocks) which implement data plane functionalities such as flow classification,  routing, firewall etc. These modules are implemented using dpdk packet framework libraries (librte_port/table, librte_pipeline). In configuration file, depending upon the application, we specify various parameters of the pipeline modules such as ports (in/out), tables, core affinity, and their connectivity with each other as you can see . You can pick any pipeline module if it exists to build your application or you can implement any specific pipeline in a way existing pipeline modules have been implemented.
Please see sample configuration files such as l2fwd.cfg, l3fwd.cfg (dpdk/examples/ip_pipeline/config) to get more idea on ip pipeline application. Some other configuration files illustrate the use of various pipeline modules towards building edge router upstream /downstream packet processing workload.

>     Second, I want to use a dpdk application which can schedule packets to
> different VMs depending upon the src ip (or some logic, which is
> programmable).Is there any dpdk application available which I can use and
> modify in some way to use for the purpose. I have used OVS-DPDK for this
> purpose before. But here I  am looking for a lightweight dpdk application.
> Another condition need to be made is once I schedule  and direct a packet to
> a VM, it should be steered through usersapce only. Any pointers in this
> direction will be very helpful.

Please see load balancer sample application if it suits to your scenario.

@ 2016-04-05 19:11   ` Talukdar, Biju
From: Talukdar, Biju @ 2016-04-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Singh, Jasvinder, users

Hi Jasvinder,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have gone through load balancing application.
One question I have is, the application output is given to the  NIC ports (for e.g. NIC  TX0, NIC TX1, NIC TX2 etc.). But my aim is to steer the output of the application to a VM. Could you please tell me how can I achieve this. Or as a matter of fact is there any generic way to hand the output of the application  to  any other usersapce process.

Thanks a ton

@ 2016-04-06 16:00     ` Singh, Jasvinder
From: Singh, Jasvinder @ 2016-04-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talukdar, Biju, users

Hi Biju,

Not sure about exact approach. You could look at ivshmem library that allows zero-copy data sharing form host to guest or guest-to-guest if it suits to your scenario.
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/ivshmem_lib.html

There is a sample app (l2fwd-ivshmem) Illustrating the use of ivhsmem library for transferring packets between host and guest.