* Re: [dpdk-users] VIRTIO for containers
@ 2017-10-20  9:24 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-20  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng (jianfeng.tan@intel.com), avi.cohen, dpdk-ovs, users

I read this thread, and try to do the same way (legacy containers connect to ovs+dpdk). However, I meet following error when creating ovs port.

ovs-vsctl add-port br0 virtiouser0 -- set Interface virtiouser0 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=net_virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'virtiouser0': Error attaching device 'net_virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net' to DPDK.  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.
ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/var/log/openvswitch".

Debug shows that it calls virtio_user_dev_init()->vhost_user_setup(), and failed in connect() with target /dev/vhost-net. The errno is ECONNREFUSED.
Below command indeed shows no one is listening.
lsof | grep vhost-net

In kernel OVS, I guess qemu-kvm would listne to /dev/vhost-net. But for ovs_dpdk and container, what extra work need be done? Appreciate any help.

Br,
Wang Zhike

> Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 11:32 PM

> Subject: RE: VIRTIO for containers

> Thanks you Jianfeng - pls see inline marked  [Avi Cohen (A)]

So far it needs data copy at least from kernel to user path; there's an experimental feature, named experimental_zcopytx, to avoid data copy, but not very useful due to the implementation limitation.

Packet mmap (similar to AF_PACKET) is exactly the direction we were discussing for the further optimization. Plus, an optimized vhost thread model (current thread model is: one thread for one rx-tx queue pair) is also considered.

Thanks,

Jianfeng

> > Thanks,

> > Jianfeng

> > > Best Regards

> > > avi

> DPDK

________________________________

  *   Messages sorted by: [ date ]<http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2017-July/date.html#2164> [ thread ]<http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2017-July/thread.html#2164> [ subject ]<http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2017-July/subject.html#2164> [ author ]<http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2017-July/author.html#2164>

* Re: [dpdk-users] VIRTIO for containers
@ 2017-10-20 16:54 ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-10-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 王志克, avi.cohen, dpdk-ovs, users

Hi Zhike,

On 10/20/2017 5:24 PM, 王志克 wrote:
> [dpdk-users] VIRTIO for containers
>
> I read this thread, and try to do the same way (legacy containers
> connect to ovs+dpdk). However, I meet following error when creating
> ovs port.
>
> /ovs-vsctl add-port br0 virtiouser0 -- set Interface virtiouser0
> type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=net_virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net/
>
> ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'virtiouser0': Error
> attaching device 'net_virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net' to DPDK.See
> ovs-vswitchd log for details.
>
> ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/var/log/openvswitch".

It should not try to connect this file /dev/vhost-net if this file
exists, instead it will use ioctls on it. So please check if you have
vhost and vhost-net ko probed into kernel.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

@ 2017-10-24  3:15   ` 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-24  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, avi.cohen, users

Thanks Jianfeng.

I finally realized that I used DPDK16.11 which does NOT support this function.

Then I use latest DPDK (17.05.2) and OVS (2.8.1), but still does not work.

ovs-vsctl add-port br0 virtiouser0 -- set Interface virtiouser0 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'virtiouser0': could not add network device virtiouser0 to ofproto (No such device).  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.
ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/var/log/openvswitch".

lsmod |grep vhost
vhost_net              18152  0
vhost                  33338  1 vhost_net
macvtap                22363  1 vhost_net
tun                    27141  6 vhost_net

2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00163|netdev_dpdk|INFO|Device 'virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net' attached to DPDK
2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00164|netdev_dpdk|WARN|Rx checksum offload is not supported on port 2
2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00165|netdev_dpdk|ERR|Interface virtiouser0 MTU (1500) setup error: Invalid argument
2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00166|netdev_dpdk|ERR|Interface virtiouser0(rxq:1 txq:1) configure error: Invalid argument
2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00167|dpif_netdev|ERR|Failed to set interface virtiouser0 new configuration
2017-10-23T19:00:42.743Z|00168|bridge|WARN|could not add network device virtiouser0 to ofproto (No such device)

Which versions (dpdk and ovs) are you using? Thanks

Br,
Wang Zhike

@ 2017-10-24  9:45   ` 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, avi.cohen, users

Hi  Jianfeng,

It is proven that there is SW bug on DPDK17.05.2, which leads to this issue. I will submit patch later this week.

Now I can succeed to configure the container.  I did some simple test with netperf (one server and one client in different hosts), and some result comparing container with kernel OVS:
1. From netperf sender view, the tx thoughput increase about 100%. On sender, there is almost no packet loss. That means kernel vhost thread timely transfer data from kernel to userspace OVS+DPDK.
2. From netperf recvier view, the rx thoughput increase about 50%. On recviever, the packet loss happens on virtiouserx. There is no packet loss on tap port. That means kernel vhost thread is slow to transfer data from userspace OVS+DPDK to kernel.

May I ask some question? Thanks.

1) Did you have some benchmark data for performance?
2) Is there any explanation why the kernel vhost thread speed is different for two direction (from kernel to user, and vice versa)?

Welcome feedback if someone has such data.

Br,
Wang Zhike

@ 2017-10-25  7:34     ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-10-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 王志克, avi.cohen, users

Hi Zhike,

Welcome to summit patch to fix the bug.

For sender view, there are still some tricky configuration to make it faster, like enable the LRO, so that we can put off tcp fragmentation at the NIC when sending out; similar to checksum.
For receiver view, you might want to increase the ring size to get better performance. We are also looking at how to make “vhost tx zero copy” efficient.

1) Yes, we have done some initial tests internally, with testpmd as the vswitch instead of OVS-DPDK; and we were comparing with KNI for exceptional path.
2) We also see similar asymmetric result. For user->kernel path, it not only copies data from mbuf to skb, but also might go above to tcp stack (you can check using perf).

@ 2017-10-25  9:58       ` 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-25  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, avi.cohen, users

Hi Jianfeng,

Thanks for your reply. Some feedback in line.

BR,
Wang Zhike

For sender view, there are still some tricky configuration to make it faster, like enable the LRO, so that we can put off tcp fragmentation at the NIC when sending out; similar to checksum.
For receiver view, you might want to increase the ring size to get better performance. We are also looking at how to make “vhost tx zero copy” efficient.

[Wang Zhike] I once saw you mentioned that something like mmap solution may be used. Is it still on your roadmap? I am not sure whether it is same as the “vhost tx zero copy”.
Can I know the forecasted day that the optimization can be done? Some Linux kernel upstream module would be updated, or DPDK module? Just want to know which modules will be touched.

1) Yes, we have done some initial tests internally, with testpmd as the vswitch instead of OVS-DPDK; and we were comparing with KNI for exceptional path.
[Wang Zhike]Can you please kindly indicate how to configure for KNI mode? I would like to also compare it.

2) We also see similar asymmetric result. For user->kernel path, it not only copies data from mbuf to skb, but also might go above to tcp stack (you can check using perf).
[Wang Zhike] Yes, indeed.  User->kernel path, tcp/ip related work is done by vhost thread, while kernel to user  thread, tcp/ip related work is done by the app (my case netperf) in syscall.

@ 2017-10-26  8:53         ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-10-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 王志克, avi.cohen, users

Hi,

> [Wang Zhike] I once saw you mentioned that something like mmap
> solution may be used. Is it still on your roadmap? I am not sure
> whether it is same as the “vhost tx zero copy”.
>
> Can I know the forecasted day that the optimization can be done? Some
> Linux kernel upstream module would be updated, or DPDK module? Just
> want to know which modules will be touched.

Yes, I was planning to do that. But found out it helps on user->kernel
path; not so easy for kernel->user path. It’s not the same as “vhost tx
zero copy” (there are some restrictions BTW). The packet mmap would
share a bulk of memory with user and kernel space, so that we don’t need
to copy (the effect is the same with “vhost tx zero copy”). As for the
date, it still lack of detailed design and feasibility analysis.

> 1) Yes, we have done some initial tests internally, with testpmd as
> the vswitch instead of OVS-DPDK; and we were comparing with KNI for
> exceptional path.
>
> [Wang Zhike]Can you please kindly indicate how to configure for KNI
> mode? I would like to also compare it.

Now KNI is a vdev now. You can refer to this link:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/kni.html

> 2) We also see similar asymmetric result. For user->kernel path, it
> not only copies data from mbuf to skb, but also might go above to tcp
> stack (you can check using perf).
>
> [Wang Zhike] Yes, indeed. User->kernel path, tcp/ip related work is
> done by vhost thread, while kernel to userthread, tcp/ip related work
> is done by the app (my case netperf) in syscall.

To put tcp/ip rx into app thread, actually, might avoid that with a
little change on tap driver. Currently, we use
netif_rx/netif_receive_skb() to rx in tap, which could result in going
up to the tcp/ip stack in the vhost kthread. Instead, we could backlog
the packets into other cpu (application thread's cpu?).

Thanks,
Jianfeng

* Re: [dpdk-users] VIRTIO for containers
@ 2017-10-26 12:53           ` 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-26 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, avi.cohen, users

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

To put tcp/ip rx into app thread, actually, might avoid that with a little change on tap driver. Currently, we use netif_rx/netif_receive_skb() to rx in tap, which could result in going up to the tcp/ip stack in the vhost kthread. Instead, we could backlog the packets into other cpu (application thread's cpu?).
[Wang Zhike] Then in this case, another kthread like ksoftirq will be kicked, right?
In my understanding, the advantage is that the rx performance can be even improvement, while disadvantage is that more cpu resource is used and another queue is needed. If that can be done in a smart way, like system has idle CPUs, we can use this way, else fall back to only use one kernel thread. Just my 2 cents.

Br,
Wang Zhike

@ 2017-10-27  1:58             ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-10-27  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 王志克, avi.cohen, users

Hi Zhike,

On 10/26/2017 8:53 PM, 王志克 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> To put tcp/ip rx into app thread, actually, might avoid that with a
> little change on tap driver. Currently, we use
> netif_rx/netif_receive_skb() to rx in tap, which could result in going
> up to the tcp/ip stack in the vhost kthread. Instead, we could backlog
> the packets into other cpu (application thread's cpu?).
>
> [Wang Zhike] Then in this case, another kthread like ksoftirq will be
> kicked, right?
>
> In my understanding, the advantage is that the rx performance can be
> even improvement, while disadvantage is that more cpu resource is used
> and another queue is needed. If that can be done in a smart way, like
> system has idle CPUs, we can use this way, else fall back to only use
> one kernel thread. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, make sense. We need a smart mechanism to decide if it is handled in
vhost kthread or ksoftirqd kthread. And also, we could even avoid
forking a vhost kthread, to avoid too many context switches.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

* Re: [dpdk-users] VIRTIO for containers
@ 2017-10-31  4:25           ` 王志克
From: 王志克 @ 2017-10-31  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, users

Hi,

I tested KNI, and compared with virtio-user. The result is beyond my expectation:

The KNI performance is better (+30%) in simpe netperf test with TCP and different size UDP. I though they have similar performance, but it proved that KNI performed better in my test. Not sure why.

Note in my test, I did not enable checksum/gso/… offloading and multi-queue, since we need do vxLan encapsulation using SW. I am using ovs2.8.1 and dpdk 17.05.2.

In addition, one queue pair on virtio-user would create one vhost thread. If we have many containters, it seems hard to manage the CPU usage. Is there any proposal/practice to limit the vhost kthread CPU resource?

Br,
Wang Zhike

@ 2017-11-01  2:58             ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-11-01  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 王志克, users

Hi Zhike,

On 10/31/2017 12:25 PM, 王志克 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested KNI, and compared with virtio-user. The result is beyond my
> expectation:
>
> The KNI performance is better (+30%) in simpe netperf test with TCP
> and different size UDP. I though they have similar performance, but it
> proved that KNI performed better in my test. Not sure why.

This is expected. As KNI has a better thread model, its kthread only
processes user->kernel path; the kernel->user path is processed in
ksoftirq thread.

> Note in my test, I did not enable checksum/gso/… offloading and
> multi-queue, since we need do vxLan encapsulation using SW. I am using
> ovs2.8.1 and dpdk 17.05.2.

And below is the feature table. Note that OVS (mainstream) so far does
not integrate LRO/TSO etc.

                                                         KNI
virtio-user
Multi-seg (user->kernel)              Y    Y
Multi-seg (kernel->user)              N     Y
Multi-queue                                  N         Y
Csum offload (user->kernel)       Y Y
Csum offload (kernel->user)       N                             Y
Zero copy (user->kernel) N                             Experimental
Zero copy (kernel->user) N                             N

> In addition, one queue pair on virtio-user would create one vhost
> thread. If we have many containters, it seems hard to manage the CPU
> usage. Is there any proposal/practice to limit the vhost kthread CPU
> resource?

Yes, this is another thread model problem.

There is proposal from Redhat and IBM on this:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/kvm_forum_2015_vhost_sharing_is_better.pdf.
But not sure when it will be ready.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

@ 2017-07-10  6:49                   ` Avi Cohen (A)
From: Avi Cohen (A) @ 2017-07-10  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, dpdk-ovs, users

Thanks Jianfeng
The penalty here that this vhost-kthread consumes very much CPU  on a high throughput scenario  - more than 80% CPU on ~ 10Gbps throughput
And this is in addition to the 100% CPU of the PMD threads
Also when PMD threads can be shared between multiple containers - the vhost-kthread is per container.
Best Regards
avi

@ 2017-07-10  3:28                 ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-07-10  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)