* [dpdk-users] DPDK PF_PACKET PMD - Linux interface flow packet re-ordering
@ 2021-05-12  8:24 Haklat Haklat
From: Haklat Haklat @ 2021-05-12  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,
I am using the TREX DPDK (DPDK version 20.02) traffic generator in a k8s
test environment. I use both TREX pods with kernel networking (Linux
interfaces using DPDK PF_PACKET PMD driver) and pods with SRIOV/DPDK
networking.

One use case is to monitor traffic over long time sending only 1k PPS
streams. I have noticed that over time there is some small amount of out of
order packets using the Linux interface. It is never the case for the
SRIOV/DPDK flows.

I also use vpp (FDIO) pod with host-interfaces (i beleive this is also
using  DPDK PF_PACKET PMD driver) in the setup, also this pod seems to
contribute to small amount of reordering. If I use a normal ubuntu pod
instead pure kernel forwarding of the packets between two interfaces I do
not see any reordering.

I think both trex (using "linux interfaces") and vpp (using host-interfaces
(DPDK PF_PACKET PMD)) make use of linux packet socket interface. The ununtu
kernel networking pod just use normal kernel forwarding.

Do you think that maybe the small reordering could be caused by the use of
linux packet socket interface?

I just try to understand if I have issue in my network fabric or in the
DPDK PF_PACKET PMD tools in this case.

BR//Håkan

* [dpdk-users] DPDK PF_PACKET PMD - Linux interface flow packet re-ordering
@ 2021-05-25  7:07 Haklat Haklat
From: Haklat Haklat @ 2021-05-25  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,
think maybe PF PAcket PMD could be misleading. Driver used is AF_PACKET
Poll Mode Driver.
//Håkan