* [dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random
@ 2016-04-09  5:41 sml
From: sml @ 2016-04-09  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I am having an issue where when creating the KNI interface I would like to
KEEP the hardware MAC address.  I can properly create the interface.  It
starts in a down state, I then need to manually ifconfig the IP Address and
MAC address with UP to get what I need.  If I just do the plain ifconfig -v
vEth0_0 up - it assigns a random mac address.  (Using a e1000 as well I350
and emulated e1000)

This also happens if you DOWN the interface and bring it UP using ifconfig
again.  Using Version 2.2.0

What is the proper procedure/flow for doing this within the codebase so I
can have the end result of the original hardware MAC and the interface in
an UP state?

Sorry if this seems basic I just can't seem to find any examples of how
this is done.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random
@ 2016-04-11  9:01 ` Andriy Berestovskyy
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-04-11  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sml; +Cc: users

Hi sml,
The KNI uses old ixgbe and igb Linux drivers in order to support
ethtool. Here is the list of supported e1000 devices:
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/kni/ethtool/igb/e1000_hw.h#n37

The list is somewhat shorter than the list of supported devices in
DPDK itself. So there are some devices which work well in DPDK, but
KNI generates random MACs for them.

The DPDK community decided to get rid of the KNI, so your only option
is to set the MAC on vEth using ip(8) or ifconfig(8). You can also add
an option into the /etc/network/interfaces (or similar), so the MAC
will be configured once your vEth device is up.

Andriy

--
Andriy Berestovskyy

* Re: [dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random
@ 2016-04-11 16:50   ` Jason Kwon
From: Jason Kwon @ 2016-04-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andriy Berestovskyy; +Cc: users

Hello Andriy,

The DPDK community decided to get rid of the KNI

Can you clarify this statement?  This is something I wasn't aware of.  Is
KNI being replaced by something else?

Thanks,

Jason

* Re: [dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random
@ 2016-04-12 11:46     ` Andriy Berestovskyy
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-04-12 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Kwon; +Cc: users

Hi Jason,
Sorry, I might have overstated it, but the vibes are quite clear.
Using the KNI in a real project, you will face a variety of issues
like:
  - not so easy to provisioning
  - random MACs
  - packet reordering
  - high latency
  - kernel crashes
  - etc

There are attempts to evolve/replace the KNI, for example:
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-February/033685.html

But the KNI could also be replaced by a tap or a virtual function...

Andriy

--
Andriy Berestovskyy

* Re: [dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random
@ 2016-04-12 15:40   ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2016-04-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andriy Berestovskyy; +Cc: sml, users

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:01 AM, Andriy Berestovskyy <aber@semihalf.com>
wrote:

> Hi sml,
> The KNI uses old ixgbe and igb Linux drivers in order to support
> ethtool. Here is the list of supported e1000 devices:
>
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/kni/ethtool/igb/e1000_hw.h#n37
>
> The list is somewhat shorter than the list of supported devices in
> DPDK itself. So there are some devices which work well in DPDK, but
> KNI generates random MACs for them.
>
> The DPDK community decided to get rid of the KNI, so your only option
> is to set the MAC on vEth using ip(8) or ifconfig(8). You can also add
> an option into the /etc/network/interfaces (or similar), so the MAC
> will be configured once your vEth device is up.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. DPDK has definitely NOT decided to get rid of
KNI.

There is a desire to find better solutions than KNI, but for that to
happen, there has to be something that provides equivalent functionality.
There are multiple products built on DPDK that rely on KNI for various
capabilities.

There are some proposals for ways to get away from KNI, but nothing
accepted or scheduled to replace or even deprecate KNI.

Jay