* [dpdk-users] issue with building DPDK app using static option
@ 2020-11-06  1:35 Sudharshan Krishnakumar
From: Sudharshan Krishnakumar @ 2020-11-06  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

I am using DPDK version 19.11 on Ubuntu 18.04.

I am building DPDK using meson/ninja using steps here->
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/build_dpdk.html
Also built DPDK example app -> examples/packet_ordering.

When building example app packet_ordering, running make, by default
builds the shared version which is  named packet_ordering-shared, which
links the application
with DPDK shared libraries. This version of the application->
packet_ordering-shared(which uses shared libraries), runs fine.

But for reasons(outside of this context), I need to build the static
version of this app,
  packet_ordering-static, by running make static, but it fails with
several(thousands) undefined reference errors.

Some of the undefined reference errors below:
-  sw_evdev_selftest.c:(.text+0xd6cc): undefined reference to
`rte_event_dev_xstats_by_name_get'
- /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librte_pmd_bnx2x.a(net_bnx2x_bnx2x.c.o):
In function `bnx2x_set_power_state':

Atleast for the errors that I checked, the static libraries exist, and
those functions are defined in those libraries.
/home:>> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ nm librte_bus_pci.a | grep
rte_pci_read_config
00000000000010d0 T rte_pci_read_config
/home:>> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ nm librte_eventdev.a | grep
rte_event_dev_xstats_by_name_get
0000000000002d60 T rte_event_dev_xstats_by_name_get

I also printed the LDFLAGS_STATIC  and LDFLAGS_SHARED(just to compare
output) and other flags in the Makefile.

I have the build output(attached), that has those linker flags printed,
along with the several undefined reference errors.

Please let me know.

thanks,

Sudha

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-11-06  1:35 UTC | newest]