* [dpdk-users] Must kni be associated with a dpdk port?
@ 2016-03-30 18:14 ALeX Wang
From: ALeX Wang @ 2016-03-30 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I want to use 'rte_kni_alloc()' to create a kernel iface and
use it to test application rx.  From the api and example in
'examples/kni/main.c', i saw the 'conf' argument is assigned
with pci info of a dpdk port.

Want to ask if this is compulsory...  Must kni always be
used together with a dpdk port?

Alex Wang,

* Re: [dpdk-users] Must kni be associated with a dpdk port?
@ 2016-03-31 16:56 ` Jason Kwon
From: Jason Kwon @ 2016-03-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALeX Wang; +Cc: users

No, I don't think it is compulsory--I am using it in this way.  You can
modify the example program to remove the references to the physical PCI
device and have the KNI instance created as a standalone device.

Alternatively, you can use something like librte_pmd_ring, a ring-based
poll-mode driver, to associate KNI with a purely software-based PMD.  In
this case, you are associating KNI with a DPDK port, but no physical
Ethernet device.

Jason