* [dpdk-users] Packet Drop Issue in OVS-DPDK L2FWD Application
@ 2018-11-18 20:16 vkrishnabhat k
From: vkrishnabhat k @ 2018-11-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ovs-discuss, ovs-dev, ovs-build, users, dev

Hi Team,

I am new to OVS and DPDK. While I am using l2fwd application with OVS and
DPDK I am seeing packet drop issue in OVS bridge.

Topology : My topology has Ubuntu machine (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS). I have
installed Qemu-KVM 2.11.1 version. Also I am using OVS-DPDK. Please find
the detailed topology attached with this mail. I have bound two NICs (Intel
82599ES 10-gigabit ) to dpdk IGB_UIO driver and also have added same ports
in to OVS bridge "br0". I am trying to send the bidirectional traffic from
both the port and measure the throughput value for the l2fwd application.

Could you please help me with below questions to understand l2fwd better.

What is the reason for packet drops in OVS bridge ?
What is the expected throughput value for l2fwd ?
How to improve the performance of l2fwd to get better throughput value ?
Is it possible to send or can l2fwd handle layer 7 traffic ?

I tried tuning performance by adding more number of Rx queues and
increasing the Rx queue size as per the link "
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/", but it didn't
help much.

I have attached screen shots of the Topology, DPDK port statistics, OVS
configurations with this mail.

It will be really great if you could help me with this.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Venkat

* Re: [dpdk-users] [ovs-dev] Packet Drop Issue in OVS-DPDK L2FWD Application
@ 2018-11-19 13:35 ` Ian Stokes
       [not found]   ` <CAF6sE3RvNvqaWuhRaL1X8ZxrMSwkhj5nFq7h8GKHfAENz56MYQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ian Stokes @ 2018-11-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vkrishnabhat k, ovs-discuss, ovs-dev, ovs-build, users, dev

On 11/18/2018 8:16 PM, vkrishnabhat k wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am new to OVS and DPDK. While I am using l2fwd application with OVS and
> DPDK I am seeing packet drop issue in OVS bridge.
>
> Topology : My topology has Ubuntu machine (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS). I have
> installed Qemu-KVM 2.11.1 version. Also I am using OVS-DPDK. Please find
> the detailed topology attached with this mail. I have bound two NICs (Intel
> 82599ES 10-gigabit ) to dpdk IGB_UIO driver and also have added same ports
> in to OVS bridge "br0". I am trying to send the bidirectional traffic from
> both the port and measure the throughput value for the l2fwd application.
>

> Could you please help me with below questions to understand l2fwd better.

Hi, just a few questions to clarify, I assume you mean you are running
the DPDK sample app 'l2fwd' in a Virtual machine that is also connected
to bridge br0 via a vhostuser port?

> What is the reason for packet drops in OVS bridge ?
> What is the expected throughput value for l2fwd ?
> How to improve the performance of l2fwd to get better throughput value ?
> Is it possible to send or can l2fwd handle layer 7 traffic ?
>
> I tried tuning performance by adding more number of Rx queues and
> increasing the Rx queue size as per the link "
> http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/", but it didn't
> help much.

Can you provide what versions of OVS and DPDK are being used in the host
and VM instances?

> I have attached screen shots of the Topology, DPDK port statistics, OVS
> configurations with this mail.

I don't see these attached, they may have been filtered. Could you copy
the output in these to the mail in text.

Thanks
Ian

       [not found]     ` <CAF6sE3RsLuaUmz8j194X_kP3PYg2juW7n9yG=fcxBS37Y1rADQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-11-24  7:44       ` vkrishnabhat k