* [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption
@ 2019-11-01 16:21 Eric Kuha
From: Eric Kuha @ 2019-11-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I am working with a team at U of MN on a DPDK-based project. We are using DPDK
18.11, with Mellanox Connect X-5 EN NICs and mlx5 driver. Not sure what
other details you might need to help me, but I think my question is
straightforward enough.

In the cryptodev library, the function
rte_cryptodev_asym_get_private_session_size() is flagged as
__rte_experimental. CLion interprets this as deprecated, which is probably
neither here nor there. My question is, is this method safe to use? If my
goal is simply a proof-of-concept network function (of which asymmetric
crypto is a crucial part), am I safe to use the code used in the examples
and the programmer's guide? If this functionality is going to move out of
an experimental phase, are they likely to change in significant ways that
would make my code unusable if it ever makes it to a deployable state?

And, as a final thought, are any functions listed as __rte_experimental
considered unsafe for deployment? It might not be an issue for my project,
but it might be useful to know.

Kind regards and thanks,
Eric

* Re: [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption
@ 2019-11-04 10:55 ` Trahe, Fiona
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2019-11-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Kuha, users; +Cc: Trahe, Fiona

Hi Eric,

[Fiona] yes, it's fine for a proof-of-concept.

If this functionality is going to move out of
> an experimental phase, are they likely to change in significant ways that
> would make my code unusable if it ever makes it to a deployable state?
>
> And, as a final thought, are any functions listed as __rte_experimental
> considered unsafe for deployment? It might not be an issue for my project,
> but it might be useful to know.

[Fiona] When moving the application to a later DPDK release, there are no guarantees these
APIs will remain the same - so you may need to rework the application to build against the new release.