* [dpdk-users] Dealing with pcaps
@ 2016-05-05 21:41 Victor Boudon
From: Victor Boudon @ 2016-05-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I'm trying to build an application based on dpdk, but I'm a little lost,
and I
feel like I'm not in the traditional use case:

The idea is that i can have pcaps that a are "dropped" into my application.

What I was thinking of doing:
Build a new driver based on the one in net/pcap. It will read on a queue:
"what pcap should I read", and send the packets through the rx_queue.

- How does the threading model works ? For what I understand, the driver is
  "producer", that push the datas to worker thought the rx_queue.
- Can I add add additional metadata for the packet into the rx_queue ? Stuff
  like a pcapid, and the offset of the packet in the pcap.
- Can I detect "are all packet processed" and aggregate statistics based on
that
  ?
- In which case should I use one or multiple rx_queues ?
- Should I implement the tx_queues parts, event if I'm not going to use this
  driver for dumping ?

Thanks,
Victor

* Re: [dpdk-users] Dealing with pcaps
@ 2016-05-06 11:14 ` Upendra Pathrikar
From: Upendra Pathrikar @ 2016-05-06 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Boudon; +Cc: users

Hi Victor,

I think this page
Libpcap and Ring Based Poll Mode Drivers

http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/pcap_ring.html?highlight=pcap

can help you.

--

*Regards,Upendra Sunil PathrikarBharti School of Telecom Technology and
Management,Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.*