* [dpdk-users] using the KNI on Amazon EC2
@ 2017-11-27 19:11 Cody Doucette
From: Cody Doucette @ 2017-11-27 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Is there any way to bring up a KNI on EC2? I seem to be able to create the
interface, assign IP addresses to it, etc, but can't actually activate the
interface by bringing it up using either ifconfig or with a netlink socket
directly.

This line from the KNI guide gives me doubt: "Ethtool is not supported in
i40e and VMs."

Is there any work around to this?

* Re: [dpdk-users] using the KNI on Amazon EC2
@ 2017-11-27 23:59 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2017-11-27 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cody Doucette, users

On 11/27/2017 11:11 AM, Cody Doucette wrote:
> Is there any way to bring up a KNI on EC2? I seem to be able to create the
> interface, assign IP addresses to it, etc, but can't actually activate the
> interface by bringing it up using either ifconfig or with a netlink socket
> directly.

Bringing interface up via ifconfig should be working.
Are you testing kni sample app or kni pmd?

> This line from the KNI guide gives me doubt: "Ethtool is not supported in
> i40e and VMs."

This is valid for ethtool support only, and related how kni ethtool support
implemented.

@ 2017-11-28 23:33   ` Cody Doucette
From: Cody Doucette @ 2017-11-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: users

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
wrote:
> Bringing interface up via ifconfig should be working.
> Are you testing kni sample app or kni pmd?

Indeed it does work!

The issue turned out to be that my implementation for the KNI
config_network_if() callback was using the
dev_set_link_up/dev_set_link_down APIs, as the IP pipeline example does.
However, the KNI sample application uses the dev_start/dev_stop/link_update
APIs to implement configuring the interface.

The ENA driver does not implement dev_set_link_up/dev_set_link_down, so I
was getting an error that the operation not supported. Using the
config_network_if() callback implementation that the KNI sample application
uses works!

Thank you.