* [dpdk-users] DPDK: KNI Random MAC generation
@ 2016-05-10  7:22 SAKTHIVEL ANAND S
From: SAKTHIVEL ANAND S @ 2016-05-10  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi

I know by default KNI will generate random MAC address for newly created
interfaces. But Is there any way to disable random MAC generation? i am
using VMXNET3 type Ethernet device.

Thanks
Sakthivel S OM

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK: KNI Random MAC generation
@ 2016-05-10 14:39 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2016-05-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SAKTHIVEL ANAND S, users

On 5/10/2016 8:22 AM, SAKTHIVEL ANAND S wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know by default KNI will generate random MAC address for newly created
> interfaces. But Is there any way to disable random MAC generation? i am
> using VMXNET3 type Ethernet device.

Hi Sakthivel,

For supported drivers (igb, ixgbe) KNI gets the MAC address from device,
but for rest it generates random address, this is not configurable.

Regards,
ferruh

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK: KNI Random MAC generation
@ 2016-05-10 14:43   ` Shawn Lewis
From: Shawn Lewis @ 2016-05-10 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: SAKTHIVEL ANAND S, users

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
wrote:

> On 5/10/2016 8:22 AM, SAKTHIVEL ANAND S wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I know by default KNI will generate random MAC address for newly created
> > interfaces. But Is there any way to disable random MAC generation? i am
> > using VMXNET3 type Ethernet device.
> >

> Hi Sakthivel,
>
> For supported drivers (igb, ixgbe) KNI gets the MAC address from device,
> but for rest it generates random address, this is not configurable.
>
> Regards,
> ferruh

You can though change it thru lower level network IO or simply thru
ifconfig back to the hardware ID though.