DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
@ 2020-12-14  5:03 Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  2020-12-14 19:46 ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Krishnamurthy Srinivasan @ 2020-12-14  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I have seen that this error has been brought up before.  However, the
solutions discussed did not help resolve the error. I would appreciate any
help.

I am running DPDK version 20.11 with Pktgen 3.7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04/K8s.   My
server has Intel Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE.

My kubectl description shows the network config to be OK:

Annotations:  k8s.v1.cni.cncf.io/network-status:
                [{
                    "name": "cilium",
                    "interface": "eth0",
                    "ips": [
                        "172.16.1.76"
                    ],
                    "mac": "36:22:fd:9e:b7:37",
                    "default": true,
                    "dns": {}
                },{
                    "name": "igb-uio-network",
                    "interface": "net1",
                    "ips": [
                        "172.16.1.120"
                    ],
                    "dns": {}
                }]

"dpdk-devbind -s" seems to list the interfaces correctly.  However, when I
run packetgen, I get the error:

root@pktgen-68b4d77fdc-q67fk:/usr/src/pktgen/Builddir/app# ./pktgen -l
3,4,27,28 --socket-mem=1024 --master-lcore 3 -- -m [4/27-28].0

Copyright (c) <2010-2020>, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Powered
by DPDK
EAL: Detected 48 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes
Option --master-lcore is deprecated use main-lcore
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'VA'
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: VFIO support initialized
EAL: No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not created

*** Copyright (c) <2010-2020>, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
*** Pktgen  created by: Keith Wiles -- >>> Powered by DPDK <<<

 Port: Name         IfIndex Alias        NUMA  PCI

!PANIC!: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
PANIC in pktgen_config_ports():
*** Did not find any ports to use ***
6: [./pktgen(+0xa7ee) [0x55ebeb9f97ee]]
5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf3)
[0x7f37d11bf0b3]]
4: [./pktgen(+0xa355) [0x55ebeb9f9355]]
3: [./pktgen(+0x2f456) [0x55ebeba1e456]]
2: [/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librte_eal.so.21(__rte_panic+0xcd)
[0x7f37d1436d2f]]
1: [/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librte_eal.so.21(rte_dump_stack+0x32)
[0x7f37d145b182]]
Aborted (core dumped)

The behavior is the same if I try pci-vfio DPDK driver.    I would
appreciate your help with this.

Thanks,

Srini

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
  2020-12-14  5:03 [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use *** Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
@ 2020-12-14 19:46 ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  2020-12-14 20:52   ` David Marchand
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Krishnamurthy Srinivasan @ 2020-12-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, Maciej Skrocki

I have seen that this error has been brought up before.  However, the
solutions discussed did not help resolve the error. I would appreciate any
help.

I am running DPDK version 20.11 with Pktgen 3.7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04/K8s.   My
server has Intel Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE.

Here, I have configured the pod with one interface with igb-uio driver.
The behavior is the same if I try pci-vfio DPDK driver.   My kubectl
description shows the network config to be OK:

Annotations:  k8s.v1.cni.cncf.io/network-status:
                [{
                    "name": "cilium",
                    "interface": "eth0",
                    "ips": [
                        "172.16.1.76"
                    ],
                    "mac": "36:22:fd:9e:b7:37",
                    "default": true,
                    "dns": {}
                },{
                    "name": "igb-uio-network",
                    "interface": "net1",
                    "ips": [
                        "172.16.1.120"
                    ],
                    "dns": {}
                }]

"dpdk-devbind -s" seems to list the interfaces correctly:

root@master-01:~# /opt/dpdk-stable-19.11.3/usertools/dpdk-devbind.py -s |
more

Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
============================================
0000:41:0a.0 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
unused=iavf,igb_uio
0000:41:0a.1 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
unused=iavf,igb_uio
<additional igb-uio devices>
0000:41:0a.5 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=igb_uio
unused=iavf,vfio-pci
<additional vfio-pci devices>

Network devices using kernel driver
===================================
0000:41:00.0 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' if=enp65s0f0
drv=i40e unused=igb_uio,vfio-pci *Active*
0000:41:00.1 'Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ 1572' if=enp65s0f1
drv=i40e unused=igb_uio,vfio-pci
0000:41:0b.2 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' if=ens3f1v10
drv=iavf unused=igb_uio,vfio-pci
....

However, when I run packetgen, I get the error:

root@pktgen-68b4d77fdc-q67fk:/usr/src/pktgen/Builddir/app# ./pktgen -l
3,4,27,28 --socket-mem=1024 --master-lcore 3 -- -m [4/27-28].0

Copyright (c) <2010-2020>, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Powered
by DPDK
EAL: Detected 48 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes
Option --master-lcore is deprecated use main-lcore
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'VA'
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: VFIO support initialized
EAL: No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not created

*** Copyright (c) <2010-2020>, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
*** Pktgen  created by: Keith Wiles -- >>> Powered by DPDK <<<

 Port: Name         IfIndex Alias        NUMA  PCI

!PANIC!: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
PANIC in pktgen_config_ports():
*** Did not find any ports to use ***
6: [./pktgen(+0xa7ee) [0x55ebeb9f97ee]]
5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf3)
[0x7f37d11bf0b3]]
4: [./pktgen(+0xa355) [0x55ebeb9f9355]]
3: [./pktgen(+0x2f456) [0x55ebeba1e456]]
2: [/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librte_eal.so.21(__rte_panic+0xcd)
[0x7f37d1436d2f]]
1: [/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librte_eal.so.21(rte_dump_stack+0x32)
[0x7f37d145b182]]
Aborted (core dumped)

I would appreciate your help with this.

Thanks,

Srini

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
  2020-12-14 19:46 ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
@ 2020-12-14 20:52   ` David Marchand
  2020-12-14 22:07     ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: David Marchand @ 2020-12-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  Cc: users, Maciej Skrocki, Beilei Xing, Jeff Guo, Jingjing Wu

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 8:46 PM Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
<kssrinivasan@google.com> wrote:
>
> I have seen that this error has been brought up before.  However, the
> solutions discussed did not help resolve the error. I would appreciate any
> help.
>
> I am running DPDK version 20.11 with Pktgen 3.7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04/K8s.   My
> server has Intel Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE.
>
> Here, I have configured the pod with one interface with igb-uio driver.
> The behavior is the same if I try pci-vfio DPDK driver.   My kubectl
> description shows the network config to be OK:
>

[snip]

>
> root@master-01:~# /opt/dpdk-stable-19.11.3/usertools/dpdk-devbind.py -s |
> more
>
> Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
> ============================================
> 0000:41:0a.0 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
> unused=iavf,igb_uio
> 0000:41:0a.1 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
> unused=iavf,igb_uio
> <additional igb-uio devices>
> 0000:41:0a.5 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=igb_uio
> unused=iavf,vfio-pci
> <additional vfio-pci devices>

Afaics, device 0x8086 / 0x154c is known by the common IAVF code base,
but it is associated with no PCI driver in DPDK.
$ git grep -w IAVF_DEV_ID_VF v20.11 --
v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_common.c:               case IAVF_DEV_ID_VF:
v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_devids.h:#define IAVF_DEV_ID_VF
         0x154C

Copying i40e and iavf maintainers, for further guidance.


-- 
David Marchand


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
  2020-12-14 20:52   ` David Marchand
@ 2020-12-14 22:07     ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  2020-12-15 15:36       ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Krishnamurthy Srinivasan @ 2020-12-14 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: users, Maciej Skrocki, Beilei Xing, Jeff Guo, Jingjing Wu

Thanks for your prompt feedback, David.

All:  I would appreciate your guidance on if/how DPDK could be enabled on
this platform.

Thanks,

Srini

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 1:52 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 8:46 PM Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
> <kssrinivasan@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have seen that this error has been brought up before.  However, the
> > solutions discussed did not help resolve the error. I would appreciate
> any
> > help.
> >
> > I am running DPDK version 20.11 with Pktgen 3.7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04/K8s.
>  My
> > server has Intel Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE.
> >
> > Here, I have configured the pod with one interface with igb-uio driver.
> > The behavior is the same if I try pci-vfio DPDK driver.   My kubectl
> > description shows the network config to be OK:
> >
>
> [snip]
>
> >
> > root@master-01:~# /opt/dpdk-stable-19.11.3/usertools/dpdk-devbind.py -s
> |
> > more
> >
> > Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
> > ============================================
> > 0000:41:0a.0 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
> > unused=iavf,igb_uio
> > 0000:41:0a.1 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
> > unused=iavf,igb_uio
> > <additional igb-uio devices>
> > 0000:41:0a.5 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=igb_uio
> > unused=iavf,vfio-pci
> > <additional vfio-pci devices>
>
> Afaics, device 0x8086 / 0x154c is known by the common IAVF code base,
> but it is associated with no PCI driver in DPDK.
> $ git grep -w IAVF_DEV_ID_VF v20.11 --
> v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_common.c:               case
> IAVF_DEV_ID_VF:
> v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_devids.h:#define IAVF_DEV_ID_VF
>          0x154C
>
> Copying i40e and iavf maintainers, for further guidance.
>
>
> --
> David Marchand
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use ***
  2020-12-14 22:07     ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
@ 2020-12-15 15:36       ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Krishnamurthy Srinivasan @ 2020-12-15 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: users, Maciej Skrocki, Beilei Xing, Jeff Guo, Jingjing Wu,
	Connolly, Padraig J

I would appreciate some guidance from the i40e and iavf maintainers on
if/how we could make DPDK work with this NIC.

Thanks,

Srini

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:07 PM Krishnamurthy Srinivasan <
kssrinivasan@google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt feedback, David.
>
> All:  I would appreciate your guidance on if/how DPDK could be enabled on
> this platform.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Srini
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 1:52 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 8:46 PM Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
>> <kssrinivasan@google.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have seen that this error has been brought up before.  However, the
>> > solutions discussed did not help resolve the error. I would appreciate
>> any
>> > help.
>> >
>> > I am running DPDK version 20.11 with Pktgen 3.7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04/K8s.
>>  My
>> > server has Intel Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE.
>> >
>> > Here, I have configured the pod with one interface with igb-uio driver.
>> > The behavior is the same if I try pci-vfio DPDK driver.   My kubectl
>> > description shows the network config to be OK:
>> >
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >
>> > root@master-01:~# /opt/dpdk-stable-19.11.3/usertools/dpdk-devbind.py
>> -s |
>> > more
>> >
>> > Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
>> > ============================================
>> > 0000:41:0a.0 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
>> > unused=iavf,igb_uio
>> > 0000:41:0a.1 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=vfio-pci
>> > unused=iavf,igb_uio
>> > <additional igb-uio devices>
>> > 0000:41:0a.5 'Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series 154c' drv=igb_uio
>> > unused=iavf,vfio-pci
>> > <additional vfio-pci devices>
>>
>> Afaics, device 0x8086 / 0x154c is known by the common IAVF code base,
>> but it is associated with no PCI driver in DPDK.
>> $ git grep -w IAVF_DEV_ID_VF v20.11 --
>> v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_common.c:               case
>> IAVF_DEV_ID_VF:
>> v20.11:drivers/common/iavf/iavf_devids.h:#define IAVF_DEV_ID_VF
>>          0x154C
>>
>> Copying i40e and iavf maintainers, for further guidance.
>>
>>
>> --
>> David Marchand
>>
>>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-12-16 21:48 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-12-14  5:03 [dpdk-users] Help with error: *** Did not find any ports to use *** Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
2020-12-14 19:46 ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
2020-12-14 20:52   ` David Marchand
2020-12-14 22:07     ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan
2020-12-15 15:36       ` Krishnamurthy Srinivasan

DPDK usage discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git